Honored Contributor

Re: Timezones and TDF/daylight savings

fredrik,

have you read the instructions on time adjustment in this :-

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/aa-pv5mh-tk/aa-pv5mh-tk.HTMl
Richard Whalen
Honored Contributor

NTPD in MultiNet and TCPware expects auto_dlight_save to be 0 as they handle the adjustment for day light saving time.

On MultiNet and TCPware falling back is more challenging than springing forward as NTPD has to recognize that it has already done it once if it is stepping the clock. If NTPD is slewing the clock, then it slows the clock down and it takes many hours before the full hour is lost.
Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Actually hadn't... still doesn't answer my question if ntp can do this for me thou.

I will probably just have to use one of these solutions as a quick fix since it's nearing the end of my work day and I'm not going to be here until monday.

Thanks for all the information and answers thou :) very apprieciated :)

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Hey, it's TZ season again...

Get the current UPDATE and TZ kits and install them; I haven't looked to see which is the more current of these two. If you're not in the US and have seen recent TZ-related rules changes in your jurisdiction, you'll want to check with your local HP support center, or (sans support contract) roll your own TZ changes.

NTP and OpenVMS and DECnet-Plus DTSS and DCE DTSS are all integrated as of V7.3; OpenVMS handles the rules and the switch in coordination with these packages.

Technically, NTP does not handle the DST switch, and never has; that's not what NTP does. NTP handles the time synchronization, while the local box has the DST rules and the switch. Those rules are now managed by OpenVMS.

While you have this down for the TZs, get a full system disk image copy and apply the mandatory ECOs for OpenVMS.

Here's how to decode the displays and see how your box is set up:

http://64.223.189.234/node/560

From there, you can also find a page on how to roll your own timezone changes using zic and such on V7.3 and later.

Fredrik.eriksson
Valued Contributor

Okey so the daylight_savings.com did not do what I wanted. Had to get up in the middle of the night and sort it out.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and for the next time I'll definitly fix the auto_dlight_save sysgen variable ;)

Best regards
Fredrik Eriksson