1752815 Members
6067 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Transfer trust from VMS to Linux

almanzam
Occasional Advisor

Transfer trust from VMS to Linux

Greetings. My very first question is derived from my return to VMS after an 8-year hiatus, when VMS belonged to Digital. Now I am a web administrator/developer/VMS beginner. After that long introduction, I now ask my question:

We have a VMS 7.3.2 system in which we have a huge Oracle database. Out of this database, we export many flat tab-separated files that the Oracle users retrieve via scripts on eMail. As you and I know, eMail is unsecure to send info such as SSN and ID and such things. What we would like to do is set up a trust between this VMS machine and a Linux machine so that users on Windows environments retrieve the files there and not the VMS machine. Basically, a VMS-to-Linux-to-Windows scripting will take care of that, and users can retrieve via a website or a Samba share from the Linux system. How could I do that with an SSH client on VMS?

I found slight help on this thread: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=997539 , is that the best way? We'd cut out the email part from the script that sends the file, and copy the file to the Linux machine.

The destination machine would more than likely have to have this "Trust" from the VMS machine.
14 REPLIES 14
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Re: Transfer trust from VMS to Linux

Which UCX/TCP version ?

Wim
Wim
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Why is it more secure for the users to access
the data from the Linux system than from the
VMS system?

You should be able to run Samba and/or a Web
server on the VMS system. How does adding
the Linux system help?
Aaron Sakovich
Super Advisor

Greetings!

You didn't mention which version of TCP/IP you're running, so my response will be biased towards HP's TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS.

If you are indeed running this, I'd urge you to ensure that you're running at least v5.4 with ECO4 (ECO5 preferred), then I'd recommend you investigate the scp and sftp facilities in the product.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/aa-rvbua-te/00/00/34-con.html

You'll also need to pay attention to the release notes, specifically:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/TCP_RN/tcp_rnpro_002.html#ssh_file_problems

Also review the release notes of whichever ECO you apply.

Alternatively, you may create a tunnel for a fully functional FTP command, but I'll leave that exercise to you; the documents are the same! :^)

HTH,
Aaron
almanzam
Occasional Advisor

You were right, AS.

From $tcpip show version:
HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.4 - ECO 2
on a AlphaServer ES45 Model 2B running OpenVMS V7.3-2

Quoting SS:
> Why is it more secure for the users to access the data from the Linux system than from the VMS system?
> You should be able to run Samba and/or a Web server on the VMS system. How does adding the Linux system help?

More manageable to make Oracle accounts, not system accounts, for users. Accessibility through Oracle Developer Forms allows them to open databases, etc. We'd like for them to 'touch' the VMS system only as little as possible only if they need system access, otherwise Oracle handles the output to the system, then sends it to Linux via the tunnels.

I will read the sites you referred, AS. I will be DCL scripting this and also BASH or Perl scripting it on the Linux machine. Do my answers change anything?
Thomas Ritter
Respected Contributor

Why not use two VMS Nodes. Have the production node copy to the second VMS node the files. Call this second node a "drop box". All access will only be to the drop box and allow only FTP. Use Decnet from VMS to VMS. Makes for some very slick procedures. Having a "drop box" may appeal to your auditors and can prevent data leaks from your production systems. Also by having the "drop box" seperate to production you have far more liberties with versions of software and rebooting.

Then "drop box" to Windows using what ever is available.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Given that you wish to keep the Linux system
in the mix, then, sure, (as AS said) try the
scp or sftp methods. (And watch those file
formats.)

The formats of the public key files tended to
vary with time and/or SSH author, so it's not
all totally fool-proof, but I've gotten ssh
to work among VMS (TCPIP V5.4 - ECO 5 on VMS
Alpha V7.3-2), Tru64 (SSH Secure Shell Tru64
UNIX 3.2.0 on Tru64 UNIX V5.1B (Rev. 2650)),
and Solaris (some Sun-supplied stuff on SunOS
5.9), so it should have a fighting chance on
Linux, too.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Almanzam,

I noticed this is your first post, let me begin with:

WELCOME to the VMS forum.

Of course you can expect us to be not completely unbiased, but you really should reconsider the answer by Thomas Ritter.

Although any issues are resolvable, still, transferring files from VMS to *UX to M$ DOES have all kinds of fileformat issues.
Involving just 2 of those 3 evades several of those, which is always a lot easier than resolving them!

just my EUR 0.02

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

Why not set up a web server on OpenVMS system. It's Apache based and free. That removes the need for linux middle man
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] web server on OpenVMS system [...]

Doh! I should have thought of that days ago.