Operating System - OpenVMS
1752777 Members
6028 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trying To Find VMS-Aware Backup Software?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Trying To Find VMS-Aware Backup Software?

I'm looking at options to possibly replace my current backup solution.

I've looked at HP Data Protector, Legato and a couple of others, but none of them have native VMS restore capability.

Does anyone know of a product that has 'modern' capabilities, but would still allow me to restore files (in a DR situation) without having to rely on an external server?

Cheers, Rob.
15 REPLIES 15
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

Re: Trying To Find VMS-Aware Backup Software?

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Have you read this?

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/v9/index.html#backup

What about
http://www.storserver.com/ovms_vendor

Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Many thanks for everyones help here.

Jim - I'm afraid it's TapeSys were moving from.

Ian - those links were great. I'd spotted ABS last night, but can't understand why our main vendor only showed us Data Protector and not ABS. I'll definitely be chasing this one up. Storserver doesn't look manly enough, but it's certainly one I'll add to the list to look at, if we don't find anything better.

Mark - We looked at I-S-E (distributed through XuiS in the UK), but it looked rather clunky, and lacked Media Management if memory serves. It does tick the 'native BACKUP.EXE' box though, so again, not completely ruled out.

Rob.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

rob,

i must admit it's been at least a decade since i used the ise offering but did find it worked without issue and the support offered by xuis was excellent. i thought they did have media management as part of the package ?
Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

TSM/Storserver is quite a robust product we've used it for a number of years and I wouldn't recommend anything else at this point.

Paul
Richard W Hunt
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by "native VMS restore" capability.

We used CA Arcserve BrightStor for a while, then switched to LEGATO, both with an external server that was dedicated to nothing else than backup for the enterprise. In both cases, they ran VMS-aware because we ran VMS agents in our ES40s that passed files over our in-house network. It helped that we had multi-channel Ethernet adapters and were able to connect the backup server to an in-house network more or less dedicated to backup.

Given that it is an agented backup, it creates files and isn't a "track oriented" backup.
Sr. Systems Janitor
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

"I'm not sure what you mean by "native VMS restore" capability."

I think he means "bare metal" restore ... here's the VMS cd and here's the last backup of the system disk on a tape. Can the backup software make a bootable disk from it?

Products like Data Protector (sic) cannot handle this scenario, but then again, it seems to have a problem getting the information onto the tape as well ;-)

Cheers,
Art