Operating System - OpenVMS
1753797 Members
7884 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Trying to print line drawing characters from VMS file to HP8100 Laserjet.

Centldi

Trying to print line drawing characters from VMS file to HP8100 Laserjet.

Sorry for the misfire!

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone might be able to help with my problem.

I am generating a report file from an app on our alpha vms system. The report file containes control codes and line drawing characters that are not recognized by the HP8100 LaserJet printer when sent via a print queue. If we send the same report directly from the app to the same printer defined as a print device defined in the device file, all line drawing characters are generated properly.

Does anyone know if there a control code that could be added to the form library file that will enable the printer to recognize and print the line drawing characters?

The current control codes in this library file are:
E (Reset)
&l1O (landscape)
&l2A (letter)
&k3G (CR=CR+LF;LF=CR+LF;FF=CR+FF)
(s16.0H (16.0 characters per inch)
&l4E (Top Margin 4 lines)
&l50F (Page length 50 lines)
(s0P (Fixed primary spacing)
&l0H (Eject page)
&a0 (Not sure about this one, may be left or right margins set or subscript/superscript set??? Seems to be needed, won't print properly without it.)

Que looks like this:
Server queue XXXPRINT, idle, on YYYSYS::, mounted form REPYYYY (stock=DEFAULT)
/BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FLAG,FORM=REPYYYY (stock=DEFAULT)) /LIBRARY=REPYYYY
/OWNER=[SYSTEM] /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S)
/RETAIN=ERROR /SEPARATE=(RESET=(HP_RESET))

Attached is the report as produced from vms.

Thanks in advance,
Centldi
6 REPLIES 6
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Centldi,

Welcome to the VMS forum!!

Your problem is well known: LPD is just too stupid to be able to use setup modules, library modules etc.

For a discussion on a similar topic, which I think also applies to your problem,

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=808469

Any more questions? Please come back with them!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Centldi

Thankyou Jan,

I looked at the thread you sent and there's a lot there that is beyond my level of capability and clearance. If there isn't a relatively simple way of allowing the interpretation of the line drawing codes, then I'm not going to be able to get my system managers to look at it.

Does it have to be Beer or can I have a glass of Wine? ;-)

Centldi

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

use a relay queue on which you specify your library etc. This will pass a formatted file to the lpd queue. LPD is a very simple pass a single file untouched sort of protocol.

For prints that use control codes, I have found that using a telnet queue is more reliable than lpd, and if you have any problems it has excellent logging/debugging information. It also has a number of logical name settings that can be used to manage how it prints. You can also use relay queues as mentioned above.
Phil
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/DOC/tcpip51/6526/6526pro_contents_005.html#toc_chapter_23
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Centldi,

then I'm not going to be able to get my system managers to look at it.

Does this mean you yourself do not have System Management resources?

That is complicating things!

Whether you will go to using a TELNETSYM queue, or (see Ian) a relay queue, you WILL need privileges to create it.

I do hope for you(r company), that your system management is there to serve the needs that may arise (of course, there first task is to PREVENT adverse activities!)

My best guess is that you have your system manager read this thread (and the one pointed out). (S)he / they are expected to understand what is said here, they should be able to estimate the impact (trust us, it is minimal), and to set things up correctly for you.
Should any questions arise, just ask (or create an own account for that purpose, but then it helps if the connection is pointed out).

Remeber: VMS is for solutions, NOT for preventing functionality!

PS.

Does it have to be Beer or can I have a glass of Wine? ;-)

Did I specify _WHAT_ it had to be? Take your pick! And have another one for your system manager(s)!!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Centldi

To all responders,

Many thanks!

At least I know it can be done, now it's time for me to traverse the mine field of MIS support. I will bring the info supplied to the system management "gods" and see if they are willing to assist.

The unfortunate thing is that VMS is on it's way out the door around here and MIS just wants to keep it alive until all services are switched over to Windows.

I must say, it is so refreshing to discuss an issue like this with open minded individuals.

Centldi