108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tuning TCP/IP INET parameter UDP_SENDSPACE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

Tuning TCP/IP INET parameter UDP_SENDSPACE

I am using HP TCP/IP V5.6 and V5.7 on OVMS IA64 V8.3-1H1 and V8.4. I need to increase the value of inet subsystem parameter udp_sendspace from 9216 (default value) to 42080 (equals to default value of udp_recvspace).

Question: are there any important relations between this parameter and other TCP/IP parameters? Should I change the values of any TCPIP and/or SYSGEN parameters appropriately?

"HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Tuning & Troubleshooting" guide does not mention this parameter at all (although it does exist and is adjustable: "op=CRQ"), so I'd greatly appreciate advices from those in the know.

Dima
3 REPLIES 3
Jay So
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi Dima,

I perused through the tuning guide, and unfortunately, yes, it is somewhat lacking...

1) udp_****space cannot exceed sb_max (sysconfig -q socket)
- same goes for tcp_****space

2) You should keep an eye on user quotas, and tune if needed - bytlim and pgflquota, especially.

3) Keep an eye on NPAGEDYN usage and tune if necessary

4) If you need further help and if you have a software support contract, it might be a good idea to call HP support.

Regards,

Jay So
OpenVMS Support Engineer
HP Technology Services - Global Competency Center
Hewlett-Packard Company
Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

Jay, thanks so much!

So far no need to change user quotas or NPAGEDYN. Generally, yes, it would be nice to have more specific formulas for calculating ADD_NPAGEDYN and increasing quotas, so I will try to open the request at the HP support.

Regards,
Dima
Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

To be communicated to HP via SA.