Operating System - OpenVMS
1753835 Members
7746 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UCX$INET_HOST and UCX$INET_HOSTADDR - where are values set? and how to change?

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Kittel
Trusted Contributor

UCX$INET_HOST and UCX$INET_HOSTADDR - where are values set? and how to change?

DIGITAL TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 on a AlphaServer 2100 4/200 running OpenVMS V7.1-2

The system has 3 NICs. They are set up with 3 names and addresses, for example name1 10.2.0.1, name2 10.2.0.2, name3 10.2.0.3.

But the logicals UCX$INET_HOST and UCX$INET_HOSTADDR are somehow set to a completely different name and address. But how? and how can I change them?

Thanks.

- John
5 REPLIES 5
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Re: UCX$INET_HOST and UCX$INET_HOSTADDR - where are values set? and how to change?

Hi,

I am not sure but I think that they are set by the UCX$UCP.EXE (which is the program which runs when you type UCX). In UCX 4.2 there was a reported problem when the names were not equal length. Please see the readme of the last ECO kit http://ftp.support.compaq.com.au/pub/patches/vms/axp/v7.1/ucx/4.2/

and see if this is yours case.

Can you refer the exact ECO of yours UCX and the content of the logical names?

Bojan
John Kittel
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the response Bojan.

the names and numnbers for the interfaces are:

revmil1a 16.1.100.35
revmil1b 16.1.100.36
revmil1c 16.1.100.37

The values of the logicals are:

"UCX$INET_HOST" = "REVMIL"
"UCX$INET_HOSTADDR" = "204.212.125.98"

All 4 names and numbers are in our DNS. Someone did this intentionally, I think, several years ago, but they're long gone from this company.

I need to leave the office now. Tomorrow I will try to determine what ECO we are on, and read any readmes for it, etc.

- John
John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

John

$ UCX SET CONF COMM/LOCAL_HOST=host-name

should set the name that UCX$INET_HOST is defined as. Similarly for UCX$INET_DOMAIN and UCX$INET_HOSTADDR. There may also be UCX$INET_HOSTADDR2 etc.. for your alternate addresses.

The simplest way to make sure all this is correct is to execute UCX$CONFIG, CORE environment, Domain and interfaces. UCX$INET_HOST should be the first interface configured.

The definitions are made during

$ UCX START COMM/INIT

Make sure you don't have any startup procedures overriding the logical names.

Try

$ SEARCH SYS$STARTUP:*.COM UCX$INET

A crucible of informative mistakes
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

John,
the IP address of UCX$INET_HOSTADDR is the IP of BIND (DNS) server?
I guess your logical names are pointed to DNS server; before any change you must be sure about your current configuration then you can run UXC$CONFIG as John G. hinted you.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
John Kittel
Trusted Contributor

Thanks all for your help.

UCX$INET_HOST was coming from communication configuration ( SET CONF COMM/LOCAL_HOST). But UCX$INET_HOSTADDR was not, and doesn't appear to be possible to configure it there. It was coming from the local host database ( SET HOST "name"), and/or the DNS.

I have successfully made the changes I needed to make.

- John