Operating System - OpenVMS
1753934 Members
9834 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UCX Liscense expired

David A. Lotz

UCX Liscense expired

I have a customer that has a VAX 8550. When they try to telnet to it they get a message that the UCX liscense is expired. I need to find out exactly what information I need to gather to help tham and where I need to go to help them resolve this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

David,

Check the license with:

$ LICENSE LIST UCX /FULL

and pay attention to the line which begins with:

PAK Termination Date:

Probably this was a temporary license. The only way I see is to buy a permanent license.

Bojan
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

David,

you would first want to find out the exact name and attributes of the license, which has expired:

$ SHOW LIC/BR

The license expiration date for any license should be shown in the last column, if there is a license expiration date associated with that license.

For a VAX 8350, probably running an old version of OpenVMS VAX, I find it unusual, that the UCX license would suddenly expire. Or did the customer get a temporary license and forgot to order and/or install the real one ?

UCX licenses can have a name of *UCX* or NET-APP-SUP*

Once you've figured out the exact circumstances and the name of the license, you would have to figure out the order number and try to order a new license from HP or your favourite reseller. Good luck ;-)

Volker.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

David,

Any license that expires is a temporary PAK issued to get around a licensing problem, or as a trial.

Termination dates on PAKs combine, so any terminated PAK will also "terminate" any other PAKs for the same product. You need to delete the expired PAK(s) and attempt to reload the affected products. If you have a valid PAK, fine. If not, you'll have to purchase one from your local reseller.

Use:

$ LICENSE LIST/TERM=TODAY/BEFORE

to find any terminated PAKs. Then delete them:

$ LICENSE DELETE product/AUTH=authorization
(repeat for all terminated PAKs)
$ LICENSE LOAD product

If you're paranoid about deleting something you shouldn't use LICENSE DISABLE instead of LICENSE DELETE.

A crucible of informative mistakes
Upstate Rob
Occasional Advisor

Another trick is, if you have another VAX that has a similar license (that you are, of course, not really using... I have to say that for legal purposes), you can just do a LIC ISSUE (but don't forget to do a LIC ENABLE afterwards), write down that info and then use @sys$update:vmslicense to install it on your 8550. [Even better if it is an old Mod-Units license, then just set the units to 10000 to be sure] and make sure that that is the only enabled one, as mentioned in the previous case, and the Load it. Check $ sho lic/charge on both system to check for compatability (Workstation vs server) before you start.
Another Simple Solution to a Complex Problem
David Jones_21
Trusted Contributor

"Any license that expires is a temporary PAK issued to get around a licensing problem, or as a trial."

The licenses that come with the yearly CSLG (Campus-wide Software License Grant) subscription sold to universities expire.

"Termination dates on PAKs combine, so any terminated PAK will also "terminate" any other PAKs for the same product."

They do not combine, but older versions of VMS did not overwrite currently loaded expired licenses so it might have seemed like it. The current LICENSE LOAD command unloads the existing license before attempting to load a valid one.
I'm looking for marbles all day long.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

"LICENSE LOAD command unloads the existing license before attempting to load a valid one."

earlier versions behave differently and you have to unload the expired licence and then delete it.

Check for multiple UCX licences with LIC LIST