New Discussion юеВ

Re: UCX Memory

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rajarshi Gupta
Frequent Advisor

UCX Memory

Hi ,

We are using Open VMS 7.1 with UCX V4.2 ECO 5 on one of our VAX 4000 server. We are experiencing some high non zero wait value
( UCX show Comm / Mem ) for large buffer but it is not increasing cumilatively like error counts. Neither it is changing dynamically. For example it is staying at say 4502 for One and half hour then suddenly jumping to 4732 and staying there for some hour again coming back to 589 range for two hours... like this.
could you please explain how I can use these values to quantify the error? Is this value representing the wait for that particullar instance? Does it get reset at Midnight with other VMS accounting information? Much you could provide information on this topic will be more helpful for me.

Thanking on anticipation

Raj
12 REPLIES 12
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

This old document might help.
Search for "wait".

Wim
Wim
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Raj,
here there is TCP/IP troubleshoting guide of V5.3; I hope it can help you.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Antonio : where ?

Note that 5.3 memory management is completely different.

Wim
Wim
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Raj,

the Waits counter value should not 'decrease', except if it overflows.

Compare the Peak buffer values with the permanently allocated ones and consider to increase the permanent values, if the peak values are near or reach the max values. As far as I remember, the maximum values you define, need to be a multiple of the appropriate MIN= values.

Volker.
comarow
Trusted Contributor

There is a UCX tuning guide, which is obsolete in TCPIP. Log a call and we can send it to you.

Rajarshi Gupta
Frequent Advisor

If we increase " QUOTA " for send and receive for UCX will it help?

I have checked the quota with the command -UCX show prot tcp/ param

and it is showing the default value for both send and receive.

Is this " quota " related with UCX memory for out-bound and in-bound connections? Do I need to increase the quota before increasing the Max value for " Large Buffer " & " small Buffer " ?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rajarshi,

please look at the 'Tuning and Troubleshooting Hints to Improve UCX Performance' document posted by Wim.

If you are seeing Large Buffer and Small Buffer waits, you need to increase the number of these types of buffers (MBUFs) as provided by the UCX kernel:

UCX> SET CONF COMM/SMALL=(MIN:n, MAX:m)

same with LARGE (and/or IRP).

You will need to shutdown and restart UCX and you may also need to tune your system using AUTOGEN, as these buffers consume nonpaged pool. This is all described in the above document.

If you are unsure what values to use, please provide the output of UCX SHOW COMM, UCX SHOW COMM/MEM and SHOW MEM/POOL/FULL and we'll try to come up with the exact commands for you to use.

Increasing the QUOTA values won't help at all.

Volker.
Rajarshi Gupta
Frequent Advisor

Dear Volker,

Thanks for your reply. Could you please let me know what is the use of the QUOTA values ? Any elaborate explanation on QUOTA will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Raj
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Rajarshi,

the use of QUOTAs in OpenVMS generally limits the ability of a single instance (process, user, job, session etc.) to deplete a system-wide resource.

In this case in UCX, it limits the TCP message queue size for Receive/Send messages.

If you are seeing UCX MBUF buffer waits, this mean that the UCX kernel needs a packet from a memory buffer and none is available, so it has to wait. This will cause a little bit of delay in your TCPIP communication. If you don't want this to happen and have enough nonpaged pool, you can increase the number of MBUFs available to the UCX kernel.

Increasing the QUOTAs without increasing the underlying buffer space, may even make things worse.

Volker.