4403 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UCX for VAX VMS 5.5

Cache memory and VMS
Occasional Advisor

UCX for VAX VMS 5.5

Hi ,

We have installed an emulator version of VAX VMS 5.5. But unfortunately there is no UCX installed in this .Is there a way we can download this from anywhere? Please advise.

regards
Anup
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Anup,

I suppose you mean you installed VMS V5.5 on an emulated VAX :-)

I would encourage you to upgrade to VMS V5.5-2, which was the latest supported version of the V5 tree.

For V5.5-2 you may find an UCX kit here:
ftp://ftp.itrc.hp.com/openvms_patches/archived_patches/vax5x.html

regards Kalle
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Anup,

the patch kit ucxvax_e5040 will most likely not help you, as it would be a patch kit, not a complete kit.

You will not even find a UCX V4.0 kit on the Layered Product CDs, even if you could find a 10 year old LP CD kit (sqp.com lists the oldest kit as from 1997).

There have never been public download sites for the OpenVMS software and layered products. You had to order your kits from Digital.

Maybe ask around at a local DECUS meeting...

Volker.

Verne Britton
Regular Advisor

any special reason for VMS 5.5?

Finding things for the current 7.3 Vax version may be easier ...

just curious :-)

p.s. if this system would qualify for the hobbyist programs, I wonder if older versions of Multinet (a 3rd party TCP/IP stack for VMS) would be available from that vendor (www.process.com) for downloading ...

Verne
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Send e-mail to sms@antinode-org (more or
less). I probably have a CD-ROM with
something suitable on it.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Anup,

sorry, Volker is correct, the link just contains a patchkit.

The following CDROM Kits contain UCX versions:

UCX V4.0: December 1995, March/June 1996
UCX V4.1: December 1996 up to September 1997
UCX V4.2: all kits since March 1998

regards kalle
Cache memory and VMS
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot everybody for providing me the details .

Verne , there is no special reason for going for 5.5 , just that this is the VMS image I got fot the VAX emulator. We are trying to get a later version . But I tried many options . Contacted HP here in India. The sales team is not even aware of VAX ! let me try again :-)

Kalle , where do I get this CDROM kits?

Karl. Sure , I will mail you.

Volker - Thanks a lot for clarifying regardig the patch.

regards
Anup
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Anup,

from your Forum Profile:

I have assigned points to 0 of 19 responses to my questions.

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Mind, I do NOT say you necessarily need to give lots of points. It is fully up to _YOU_ to decide how many. If you consider an answer is not deserving any points, you can also assign 0 ( = zero ) points, and then that answer will no longer be counted as unassigned.
Consider, that every poster took at least the trouble of posting for you!

To easily find your streams with unassigned points, click your own name somewhere.
This will bring up your profile.
Near the bottom of that page, under the caption "My Question(s)" you will find "questions or topics with unassigned points " Clicking that will give all, and only, your questions that still have unassigned postings.
If you have closed some of those streams, you must "Reopen" them to "Submit points". (After which you can "Close" again)

Do not forget to explicitly activate "Submit points", or your effort gets lost again!!

Thanks on behalf of your Forum colleagues.

PS. - nothing personal in this. I try to post it to everyone with this kind of assignment ratio in this forum. If you have received a posting like this before - please do not take offence - none is intended!

PPS. - Zero points for this.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Stanley F Quayle
Valued Contributor

I have all the various UCX versions. I install them for my emulator clients [Shameless Plug Alert (tm) -- I am a CHARON-VAX reseller], but not until AFTER they buy a UCX (or NET-APP-SUP-xxx) license.

Your provider will probably be able to help.

Alternatively, you could get a Linux box with DECnet and LAT, and not bother with UCX. But then all your connections are double-hop...
http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html