1752676 Members
5960 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

UDP tuning and monitoring

Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

UDP tuning and monitoring

Does anyone have recommendations for values for udp_recvspace and udp_sendspace, in particular for Oracle CRS?

Also, any hints on monitoring UDP. Is there a way to see packet counters for a specific interface rather than for all of TCP/IP?

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: UDP tuning and monitoring

Try a few Google searches for some discussions, or check with the nice folks over at Oracle?

Google kicks over a few similar discussions, based on some keyword searches -- though none exactly specific to OpenVMS. (I'd expect to find these recommendations from Oracle.)

I tend to use out-board monitors for network traffic analysis. Check snort or such. Most of these tools can be configured on most any handy Windows, Linux or Mac OS X box, and for little or no money, and will provide you with details of what your network is doing.

This also avoids loading stuff onto the server.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Ken,

I agree with Hoff, an outboard monitor is the correct way to go, as a starting point. Always to science.

Ethereal (now WireShark) is available as freeware and quite usable (see http://www.wireshark.org ). I would isolate the traffic that is relevant and make sure that I do reliable experiments. Be careful of other devices in the path, they will likely have a significant impact.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

I was hoping maybe there was something that might rerquire a bit less effort.

I neglected to mention this is on a VMS system, so that definitely seems to mean Wireshark would be running on another server.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

ucx show prot udp gives you some info.

Wim
Wim
Ken Englander
Regular Advisor

The priority of this task has been changed to push it to the back burner. Thanks for the information that you shared!