108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: URGENT: FTP problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Well ECO 2 is always a good idea (since you can not have 5.4 yet ;-)

Since the problem is incoming, what happens if you ping the system with large packetsizes (65k)?

Henk Ouwersloot
Advisor
Solution

Hi Willem,

How are these systems connected to your network. Are these connected to a HUB/Switch? If that is the case, are the ports set to the same speed/mode?

I have suffered problems similar to this in other environments with ftp going ok in one direction and nook in reverse direction.

The final cause was an incorrectly setup of the Speed/Duplex characteristic between the Alpha system and the switch where it was connected.

Please review those settings.

My recomendation is:
1.- Put both sides in autonegotiation and watch the results. Verify the port counters for errors.

2.- Put both sides fixed at the same setting for speed and duplex. Again verify counters.

Hope this help.

Regards,
Ventura
If downtime is not an option and security is a must think OpenVMS
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Henk and Buenaventura: this was the best hint.
The machine was set to FastFD - and the (Catalist 6000) switches are set to Auto-negotiate. You shoudl think there would be no problem - were it not for the UTP cables; although CAT6, still UNshielded.
The network guy over here told me there had been trouble with some PC's due to interference of some sort, and switching to HD prevented these.
Since large data-transfer will not be common (to or from this machine) I don't think switching to HalfDuplex would cause a problem. So I set the NIC to Fast, and yes, the problem is over.

Still, the installation of patches is still to be considered. I leave that to the sysmgr himself ;-) I'm just the substitute (they can't do without...)

Points have been granted. Thanks.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

So this was really a NETWORK issue, and not a VMS/Alphaserver issue. I'm not really surprised. We learned years ago that Auto-negotiate doesn't. Just wait until the Cisco switch crashes, and then some of your VMS systems will be able to talk, and some of them will never talk until you re-boot the VMS box! Back in 2001, we had a core switch fail. It took out 1/2 of our VMS systems. When they network switch came back up, all but 6 of our VMS servers had a functioning network connection. We tried the cable connections. (Link lights showed up, but no connectivity) We tried stopping and starting TCPIP services on the VMS box. No success until we booted the VMS server.

Now we know that if a Cisco switch crashes, we may need to re-boot our servers to get the Cisco switch to acknowledge that something is connected to it. (Piece of junk network equipment.)
VMS SAN mechanic