108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: USB HD from OpenVMS OE DVD

SOLVED
Go to solution
BoyeDav
Frequent Advisor

USB HD from OpenVMS OE DVD

We just installed a P400 array controller. Does anyone know how to get UCMSERVER running when booted from the DVD? I have a USB hard drive with some files I need to restore before I can boot from the internal SAS drives.

I called HP support, and apparently they're staffed a little to thin on the weekends to know the answer.

I have other options, but if I could mount the USB hard drive while the system is booted to the OpenVMS OE DVD, it would be a lot easier.
6 REPLIES 6
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Try this...

Assuming OpenVMS I64 V8.3, cable up the drive and (assuming that does not bring the drive on-line by itself) first try the SYSMAN command:

IO AUTO ALL

Should that not bring a DN device online, then try invoking SYS$STARTUP:USB$STARTUP and (if needed) repeating the IO AUTO ALL command.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Never tried this when booted from the DVD, but @sys$startup:usb$startup is normally called from VMS$DEVICE_STARTUP.COM.

Once you would have USB$UCM_SERVER running, plug in the USB device. Then

UCM> SHOW DEV/UNCONF
UCM> ADD DEV DNc0: (as shown by above command)

Then unplug and plugin the USB device again. This worked for me on a normally booted OpenVMS I64 V8.2 system.

Volker.
BoyeDav
Frequent Advisor

A combination of those two is also what was suggest by HP support. Thanks!.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

I am trying to do exactly this, and I can tell you that it doesn't work.

When you drop into the "$$$" DCL from the 8.3 distribution media, and try @sys$startup:usb$startup, you get an

Unable to create file sys$startup:usb$run_ucm_server.com

becuase the system disk is writelocked.

Not sure why they don't precreate this file since all it is is: run sys$system:ucm$usb_server

I'm trying to do this as part of a new DR method to make it very easy for a not super-experienced vms person to recover systems:

1) boot off distribution
2) drop to dcl
3) mount usb flash drive with dr scripts
4) run scripts...

I guess now I will have to remaster the distribution (PITA), or provide my own method to start this process (PITA). yeesh.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

A sneaky approach here might be to redefine SYS$SYSROOT to have a writable disk in the path, if you have one. That'll get you going.

The easy approach is to remaster a kit to meet your requirements; that's trivial. I've posted instructions for that stuff.

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/28

Lob an enhancement request at HP for V8.4; it would be nice if this worked.

Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Thanks, I guess I will remaster, it's just one more thing to keep up to date though. I will make an imporvment req. too, since it's simple for them to fix.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.