1748045 Members
5081 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrade question - part 2

Paolo_R
Advisor

Upgrade question - part 2

I've created a CD with the patches on it plus a couple of compilers and the CD is mounted on dka0 with a DIR listing showing up nicely.

Now, how do I get the files from the CD to OpenVMS? I was looking for something similar to the Unix 'mv' command. Looking at DCL documentation it seems RENAME might be what I am looking for but I don't want to do a RENAME and make a mess of things.

I'm logged in as SYSTEM in default directory SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]. What would be the correct RENAME command?

Bob Blunt said "Once they are moved to the OpenVMS instance/disk you should expand the ZIPfiles by "running" them like an executable image (for example $ run VMS84A_PCSI_V0200.ZIPEXE) which will extract the installation kits to a VMS directory."   So can I just run them from the CD-ROM? Do I have to create a directory on my system disk and then run them?

He then said: "$ SET DEFAULT to that directory and then:

$ PROD INSTALL *

You SHOULD get a list of the installation kits in that directory."

I'm struggling with the creation of the directory into which the kits will be placed.

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade question - part 2

Paolo,

do you know, that OpenVMS has excellent inline help ? Just try $ HELP

And OpenVMS commands are - most of the time - understandable, because they match english words. So if you want to 'copy' files, use the COPY DCL command.

And if you want to run an image, use the RUN command (in this case for the .zipexe self-extractable patches). The patch file should extract to the current default directory. Then you can install the patches (see $ HELP PRODUCT INSTALL).

Volker.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I was looking for something similar to the Unix 'mv'

mv doesn't work too well on a CD.  :-)  cp(1) would be better.

Paolo_R
Advisor

Volker:  yes, I accept that DCL commands are English-like. There is also a huge amount of documentation (probably too much for a newbie.)

What to you seems second nature, because of years of VMS experience, to me - with all of 5 days experience with VMS - is a huge learning curve. Every DCL command, for me,  needs a lot of research.

I've spent all day investigating COPY which, in turn, led to investigation into the directory structure. I've managed to create a TEMP directory but I can't get the syntax right to copy a file from the CD to the temp directory. I'll keep on trying - I'm just trying to point out OpenVMS is a pretty alien environment for newcomers.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paolo,

assuming you've mounted the CDrom (MOUNT/OVER=ID DKA0:)

DIR DKA0:[directory-name] shows your patch files

You've created a DKA100:[TEMP] directory

Just use : $ COPY/LOG DKA0:[directory-name]file-name  DKA100:[TEMP]

Volker.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Paolo_R
Advisor

Volker: thank you. I have successfully installed the patches.