New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading Alpha 7.2-1H1 to 7.3-2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Poole_1
Advisor

Upgrading Alpha 7.2-1H1 to 7.3-2

Hi,

We need to upgrade from 7.2-1 to 7.3-2. I have the Alpha update kit with all the CDs for OVMS 7.3.

We are doing a complete initialization and new install.

Can we install 7.3 from the CD's and upgrade to 7.3-2 or do we need a whole new set of CDs?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can install 7.3 and upgrade to 7.3-2. You can also install 7.3-2. From 7.2-1h1 you also have the option to upgrade directly to 7.3-2.

If you want to preserve user account, system and networking configuration the best option is to upgrade. If you want to configure a new "known baseline" environment the clean install option is a better choice.

Andy

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Mike Poole_1
Advisor

Thanks for the answer.

Since all we have is the 7.3 CDs, do I need a separate set of CDs to upgrade that to 7.3-2 afterwards, or can I download a patch that will take me to 7.3-2 from 7.3?

Thanks again
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

You'll need a set of 7.3-2 CDs. At least the operating system CD. I have part number as QA-MT1AA-W8 for the media kit. This includes the printed release notes and Upgrade and Installtion manual.

There are some very nice features that start to show up since 7.2-1h1. XFC, the improved TCPIP, LAN failover, RMS improvements and the dedicated lock manager for SMP systems. You should review the release notes for 7.3, 7.3-1 and 7.3-2 and decide what may be useful to your system. See http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/ for online access to the doc sets.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Mike,

you can upgrade from 7.2-1H1 to 7.3 or if you have 7.3-2 seperate media and Lic, you can upgrade to 7.3-2.

To upgrade/install to 7.3-2, we need seperate license and media. Using 7.3 media and lic, we can not go 7.3-2.

Upgrade Paths to Version 7.3-2:

You can upgrade directly to OpenVMS Alpha Version 7.3-2 from only the following
versions of OpenVMS Alpha:
Version 7.3-1
Version 7.3
Version 7.2-2
Version 7.2-1
Version 7.2-1H1
Version 7.2

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

Please keep in mind that the upgrade paths get more involved if you are doing a rolling upgrade of a cluster. Version 7.3-2 will not safely interoperate with V7.2-1. The oldest prior version that V7.3-2 will operate safely with is V7.2-2 with the necessary compatibility patch kits installed. I support several clusters that I had to keep up and running while doing rolling upgrades. I wound up doing a number of steps involving applying the most recent patch kits for V7.2-1 first. Then after rolling through all the members of each cluster, upgrading one member at a time to V7.2-2 with all the latest patches applied as well. Then after all of the nodes were up on V7.2-2, doing another round to bring all of them up to V7.3-2 with all available relevant patch kits applied. Unfortunately I did not have the option to take the whole cluster down and do it in one jump.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Mike Poole_1
Advisor

Thank you all very much!

This answers my questions. Great forum!
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Mike,

following the same principle, but different paths, we went from 7.2-1 to 7.3-1 by rolling upgrade, and (some time later) from there to 7.3-2. But also two rounds.

Please also download the 7.3-2 ECO kits and install them straight away!
(quite a few exist now, but _MOST_ are bundled in UPDATE kits). Scan trough the included content listings to sort 'm out.

Some are nasty-bug repairs (you SURELY want them!) but most are pretty nice goodies. (just think of the various DCL enhancements)

All in all they are all pretty straightforward, and troublefree (exept for the COPY that is included in UPDATE (3?).
It gives a DCL syntax error at the next patch in the kit. Do NOT undo, simly log off, log on again (or SET COMMAND DCLTABLES) and re-apply the kit. A bit ugly, but fully correct.

Success.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

If I may hijack this thread ;-) ... can people also respond with their experiences on the whether their applications needed recompiling when going to v7.3x and if so what languages were they written in? I'm most interested if anyone was in the Basic v1.3 boat. I had BASICRTL issues when our dev system went from v7.1-1h1 to v7.2-2 and we still had to support another production v7.1-1h1 system. Not too serious ... got around it with a logical for the compile/link environment.

Sorry Mike,
Art
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Art,

we never had to re-COMPILE, but we had one applic (Pascal, version unknown; linked on V6.1) that had to be re-LINKed going from 7.2-1 to 7.3-1, and another one, (Pascal also, linked on V6.2) that needed re-LINK going from 7.3-1 to 7.3-2

Furthermore we had to dig quite deep into the SYBASE Omniconnect startup to locate the actual RUN command which specifies the quota.
BYTLM and PGFLQUO had to be raised.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.