cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use two Interfaces Ethernet and FDDI Fiber on Same Machine

BonnieBM
Occasional Visitor

Use two Interfaces Ethernet and FDDI Fiber on Same Machine

Im totally new to OpenVMS but i have some Unix/Linux knowledge. I have 3 servers Running OpenVMS 7.2-3. They are connected using a DEC-Concentrator500 using Fiber.
They form a cluster.
Originally the Dec-Concentrator500 was connected to another Dec-Microserver which had an IP-Address thereby enabling the FDDI Connection ring to connect to the LAN but the link to the Dec-microserver went down. so no communication between the Network LAN and the 3 Server Cluster.

the Servers have IP-Addresses and from the console of one server i can telnet or set host to any of the other cluster member servers using IP-Addresses or Server-Names.

My Question is since they are currently connected using Fiber and the Cluster up, how can i add ANOTHER IP Address to the UNUSED EtherNet interfaces already on the servers on All or one of the servers since if i manage to have access to one i therefore manage to access all of them.

the "show network" command on the boot prompt ('before i type "boot" for the servers to boot') shows me that i have:

ewa (EtherNet)
fwa (FDDI)

and i know that only the 'fwa' is the one working because the Ethernet is not connected.

Is it possible to put an IP-Address on the 'ewa' and connect to a LAN Switch and have access to the Server?
If possible how do i do it? i have all the privileges on all the Machines.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Use two Interfaces Ethernet and FDDI Fiber on Same Machine

Assuming the TCPIP stack is "TCPIP services for VMS" aka UCX, then use
@sys$manager:tcpip$config
to get the configuration menu.
choos 1"core", then 2"interfaces".
This should offer interface WE0 for the ethernet interface, and afterwards "routing" and "bind resolver".
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Bonnie,

welcome to the itrc forum!

I suspect that I know exactly which systems you are looking at (alpha1, beta1, and bbsdev by any chance?).

Have the systems been moved from their original location? If not, then I can give you details of the network interfaces and connections.

Please email me at duncanjmmorris at btinternet dot com.

Regards,

Duncan
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Bonnie, as was stated before the tools you use to add interfaces is TCPIP$CONFIG or UCX$CONFIG (for a really old version of HP's TCP software). If you're using another stack you'll have to check with that vendor. You might try issuing a $ MU SHOW VERSION command to see if you're using Multinet or a $ SHOW LOG UCX* or $ SHOW LOG TPCIP*.

The main concern like you'd have with any IP stack on OpenVMS or on any other platform is to be sure that you don't setup IP addresses that conflict if there's ever ANY chance that your Ethernet and FDDI might "see" each other. I know that is a gross over simplification.

Personally I'd get the MicroServer fixed...

bob
BonnieBM
Occasional Visitor

thanks guys, Let me try that , will update you as soon as im done.

@ Duncan sure those are the servers that im talking about, Alpha1, Beta1 and BBSDEV.