New Discussion юеВ

Re: Useful DCL parser

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Dean,

perhaps DECnet engineering really should run DCL_CHECK against NET$CONFIGURE to detect such flaws as e.g.:

$If prc .eqs ""

regards Kalle
Dean McGorrill
Valued Contributor

Kalle,

$If prc .eqs ""

I love it. what version is that from, I
don't see it 7.2. There was a lot of contention over that, whether we should
put that functionality into hard code. I
worked on that dcl for a couple of cases.
what a zoo to work on :)

Dean ex-hp-engineer-not-my-problem-no-more
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Dean,

$ MC NCL SHO IMPLE
Version = "V8.3 ECO01 8-NOV-2006 04:00:13.34"

regards Kalle
Cramer_1

Dear Antonio,

after two days of searching I finally found DCLMake - exactly, what I'am looking for!!!

Unfortunately I was not successful to reach
http://it.openvms.org/pages.php?page=download
to download it.

Did I make any mistake?

Thank you, best regards
Erwin

Hoff
Honored Contributor

The whole of the it.openvms.org site is not reachable. You could try contacting Ken Farmer via the OpenVMS.org site; he's responsible for the whole site. He might (will?) know what happened with the tool.

And I'd suggest starting a new thread for a new question.

I did acquire a copy of the zip archive from the Internet archive, if it somehow got lost over at the OpenVMS.org site.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://it.openvms.org/download/utilities/dclmake.zip

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
it.openvms.org is under attach. I'm talking site manager in order to restart the web site.
If you contact me at antoniov@openvms.org I can send you a file via mail.

Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor
Solution

I have put up a copy of it under
http://de.openvms.org/software-download/dclmake.zip

HTH,
Martin
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Good initiative, but I doubt the usefullness.

The big problem with DCL programming is not invalid labels and if-then(-else)-endif constructs because these are clearly identified by DCL itself. Undefined symbols, unopened files are not a big issue either.
You'll find these when testing - which _should_ be done before a procedure is put into production.

No doubt that software, checking on these issues, can be useful. Foremost on big, lengthy procedures. But since DCL itself can take care of that, I think it's usability limited. I tried DCL_CHECK once, it did a good job but simply failed the major bug in the procedure I was working on at that time.

Mispelled logical names, and, foremost, symbol names, or local.vs. global assignements are a far greater concern because typo's are easily made and overlooked, especially in large, complex procedures:

$ dev1=""
$ avoid="TRUE"
$ devl=="some value"
$ aviod=="FALSE"
$ dev1=="something"
$ if avoid
$ then
$ if dev1 .eqs. "" then ....

Searching for a reason of unexpected, or errenous behaviour can be a tedious task in such an environment. If your procedure is capable of picking these out, then it's really useful.

WG
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Willem,
I think the symbol cross reference could help with the problem you mention.

Willem: switch the fonts selected for your displays.

It's good that you capture these errors, but it's also likely these arise either with the few ancient typists left around the industry or more commonly with poor font choices.

The default character display fonts on some operating system platforms were seemingly created by crayon-wielding children.

Changing fonts can help with this one versus ell confusion, with (better) antialiasing, and with general ease of viewing.