108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: V8.2 INVEXCEPTN Bugcheck from SYS$DQDRIVER+06308

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hoff
Honored Contributor

HP probably isn't going to be all that interested in looking at this crash and this configuration in any detail, unfortunately. No support contract combined with unsupported hardware tends to be a hard-stop in that regard, unless you're willing to pay HP for custom work.

If you want to maintain your own DQDRIVER and you have the source listings to get at the current bits, its certainly feasible to do that. The cost of doing so, however, and the cost of carrying the work forward over future OpenVMS upgrades, tends to point toward a drive swap. Unless you need something specific from this drive, that is.

And are you trying to use DVD-RAM disks here? Having spent several years working inside DQ for various reasons, I know of no particular testing for that format. (Popular in Europe, the format never really caught on in the US.)

The "firmware issue" may well be the boot issue with the older SRM in the AlphaStation XP1000. (One of the major advantages of the Plextor PX-716A series is that it boots on this particular box.)

The "use supported hardware" portion of the comment did come through loud and clear. That usually is the cheapest course for cases like this. Unfortunately, I don't know that there are any supported CD or DVD writers for this particular box.
John Travell
Valued Contributor

> HP probably isn't going to be all that interested in looking at this crash and
> this configuration in any detail, unfortunately.
I never really *expected* that they would.

>If you want to maintain your own DQDRIVER
No, although it might be worthwhile if there was any way of submitting updates to engineering...
> The cost of doing so, however, and the cost of carrying the work forward over
> future OpenVMS upgrades, tends to point toward a drive swap.
Concur, no plans to persist with that type of drive.

> And are you trying to use DVD-RAM disks here?
No, it just happened to be a drive I had lying around.

> The "firmware issue" may well be the boot issue with the older SRM in the
> AlphaStation XP1000.
Maybe, the machine will not boot off the LG GSA-4163b, It WILL, however, boot from the LG GDR-8163 I have in there. The only problem with that one is that it is a read-only device.

>(One of the major advantages of the Plextor PX-716A series is that it boots
>on this particular box.)
Problem is, I am having difficulty finding a UK supplier of plextor drives.

>The "use supported hardware" portion of the comment did come through
>loud and clear.
Concur.
>Unfortunately, I don't know that there are any supported CD or DVD writers
>for this particular box.
Now that's news I really wanted (not!)...
Has anyone tried the HP DVD940i in an Alpha ?
What optical drive is used in current machines ?
Do ANY of them have Cd or DVD writers ?
I do hope that *I* don't have to buy a bundle of drives just to see if I can find one that works... :-)
JT:
Heuser-Hofmann
Frequent Advisor

The HP dvd840 drive works without problems (Alpha, I64). It is a relabeled LG drive...

Eberhard