108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VASFUL

SOLVED
Go to solution
Guenther Froehlin
Valued Contributor

Just to make sure...VASFUL means there is a system service call to map more virtual address space and it would exceed beyond the 1GB architecturally limit for the programm region 0 on OpenVMS.

And concluding the "CRMP" is part of a message relating to create-and-map section...oh well.

Unless there was some sort of an RMS error message I would not assume this is even RMS related.

WHY DO WE HAVE TO GUESS SO OFTEN?
CAN'T WE GET A COMPLETE ERROR MESSAGE?

Here I said it!

/Guenther
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Guenther,

I fully agree. We should have better messages (sometimes). Not only in old VMS stuff but also in the new ***open*** stuff (remember Unix 15 years ago just giving "error" when something went wrong, so worse exists).

We had the discussion before ...
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1221030884306+28353475&threadId=1046817

(some people just give to much points for off topic answers)

Wim
Wim
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Wim, you are right about the quota thing, and even more about the Unix thing (from thousands of documented error codes on Openvms to a few dozen criptic codes on Unix... that's progress... NOT!).

But I think you are wrong on the interpretation of Guenthers reply.
That was actually aimed at the problem description, not at the OpenVMS code.

As all to often too case the problem description leaves much room for speculation.

In this particular case, the OpenVMS error is VERY specific with no room for alternative interpretation which is why I'm so surprised by the various suggestions about looking at available memory and working sets .... but the HELP/MESS might not be entirely correct, or maybe it is me who is terribly confused.

As with so many question here, the initial detail are none-existant. "It doesn't work".
Here at least we have a correct spelled error code but no clue what is being tried, and eventually and other error code is offered without much context either.

If the CRMP code reported is correct, then that point 100% to RMS.
Check out with $HELP/MESS CRMP
And the VASFUL perfectly fits with a known failure scenario for CRMP for any OpenVMS version before 8.2. But that version was not initially provided.

fwiw,
Hein.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Stupid me.

BTW : are file stat activated for usage in monitor ?
This could also be the reason according to the help text.

Wim
Wim
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

My point was about the obscene meager problem description. I didn't even know that there was a specific RMS-F-CRMP...which would have pointed straight to RMS.

You guys are pretty good in associating the near nothing with something.

Ok, so it is clearly an RMS problem creating global buffers because there is not enough VA left in P0. This could be caused by program mallocs or, with the way the program opens/closes files with global buffers (and I am with you on that, Hein).

/Guenther
Mulder_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all !!

The error was with the application which was comsuming too much VA.

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

FOX,

>>>
Thanks to all !!
<<<

So, how about spending some points?

(Zero for this entry, please)

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.