108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VAX 4105A/4106A battery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

VAX 4105A/4106A battery

Does VAX 4105A/4106A has got a chargeable circuit for it's battery after power on or a already charged battery needs to be placed on to server and it will hold that voltage for years. ?
3 REPLIES 3
Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Sk: VAX batteries are not rechargable. Would be nice if they were. A good (charged) battery needs to be used. In general, you don't want to be constantly recharging rechargable batteries. Most rechargable batteries tend to develop a memory when they are being frequently recharged. That is, the batteries don't fully recharge.
Lawrence
JKrucus
Frequent Advisor

As I recall using these VAX's years ago, the battery needed to be replaced every three or four years. The only way I could tell the battery was dead was that after rebooting VMS would ask for system time to be input. I think VMS 7.1 also used to ask for system time input after every reboot regardless of the battery condition, but this was fixed in some (7.2 ?) subsequent VMS version. I imagine a VAX 4100 battery is getting a little hard to come by.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

If you look carefully at the battery it is a type that can be bought from various suppliers as it is used in other kit.