108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VAX/VMS printer queues stopping

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Nott
Advisor

VAX/VMS printer queues stopping

I am running VMS 5.5-2h4 and have a printer connected to a Decserver 90L+ LAT port. If I switch the printer of and on again, the next time I try to print the queue stops. How can I prevent this from happening?
18 REPLIES 18
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: VAX/VMS printer queues stopping

Steve,

welcome to the OpenVMS ITRC forum.

Assuming you are using the LATSYM print symbiont: SHOW QUE/FULL should show /PROC=LATSYM

A LATSYM print queue will be stopped automatically, if there is an error establishing the LAT connection to the terminal server port. You should get an error message (visible via PRINT/NOTIFY or by SET QUEUE/RETAIN=ERROR and then looking at the failed print-job after the queue has stopped: SHO QUE/FULL/ALL queue). What is the error status ?

Note that you can then release the job again: SET ENTRY xx/RELEASE without the user having to re-submit the print job.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Most probably you will get "data set hangup". We have a script that restarts the queue if those entries are found (rare now since we're mostly on IP).

Wim
Wim
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Steve,

a slight correction after checking my real old notes on LATSYM problems:

- if the LAT connect QIO fails, the LATSYM queue will be PAUSED

- if there is an error after the LAT connection has been established, the queue will be STOPPED

In any case, the job will be aborted with an approriate error status, which you can see, if the queue is set to /RETAIN=ERROR

Volker.
Steve Nott
Advisor

Hi Volker & Hi Vim,

Tried this - the error I get is as follows:

%PSM-E-WRITERR, error writing !AS
- SYST-F-HANGUP, data set hangup

The print queue is then stopped and I have to issue a START/QUE and re-print the file.

What I dont understand is why switching the printer off and on when it is idle should cause the print que to stop when I try to print to it later. I have previously run the printer off an ancient Performance 4000 server and did not have this problem.

Many thanks
Steve
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

is the printer connection using hardware flow control? Parhaps the DS90 detects the printer being switched off via a change in the signals on the connections but can not report it until data is sent from the VMS system.

Steve,

does the DS90L+ support the Local> SHOW PORT STATUS command ? If so, what happens to the Input/Output Signals if you power-off and power-on the printer ? What's the status after the print failed ?

Volker.
Steve Nott
Advisor

Sorry, I dont know whether the printer is using hardware flow control - it's an Epson lx-1170 dot matrix printer and ther's nothing in the manual to indicate. I'll try checking with the manufacturer.

Steve
Steve Nott
Advisor

The status during the various steps is:

DS90 QUE
Printer operational : CONN IDLE

Printer switched off : LOCAL IDLE

Printer on again : LOCAL IDLE

Attempt to print : LOCAL STOPPED

Restart QUE : LOCAL IDLE

Re-print : CONN BUSY

After print : CONN IDLE

So it seems that the port is dropping into local when the printer is switched off and causes a que failure when attempting to print.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Steve,

I'm not familiar with the DS90 QUE information you've shown. What does 'CONN' mean ? A LAT connection established from the VMS system ? What does MC LATCP SHOW PORT LTAx: show at that time (if the Actual Port/Node Name field is non-blank, there is an established LAT connection) ?

Are you really using the LATSYM print symbiont on that queue ? LATSYM will establish the LAT connection only when the print-job starts and will disconnect, once the print-job has finished. This allows multiple VMS systems to print on the same printer (DECserver port) sequentially.

Volker.