Re: VAX/VMS printer queues stopping

SOLVED
Go to solution
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Steve,

it's the ITRC formatting which threw me off ;-(

You're showing that the DS90 port status is CONN after the print has finished (QUE = IDLE) ?! So you must be using PRTSMB instead of LATSYM.

What does SHOW QUE/FULL queue show after the /PROCESSOR= qualifier ?

Volker.
Steve Nott
Advisor

Volker,

Sorry about the confusion - the first word after the action (CONN, OFF, LOCAL) refers to the status of the port in the DS90L+, the second (IDLE, STOPPED, BUSY) refers to the print queue status.

I have checked in LATCP and the Actual Port/Node names are the same as the target names when the printer is operational, but blank out when I switch the printer off.

This would seem to support Ian's suggestion that the DS90L is detecting that the printer is off.

Steve
Steve Nott
Advisor

Volker,

I am not very experienced in VMS, and I don't know what LATSYM is, or how to find if it is being used.

Can you help?

Thanks
Steve
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Steve,

sure. If you turn the printer off, the DS90L+ seems to detect that and disconnects the LAT session. If you power off the printer while the queue is BUSY, this would be expected. But - if you are using the correct print-symbiont - the LAT connection should be immediately disconnected, once the print job is finished.

Please what does $ SHOW QUE/FULL queue show as the /PROCESSOR being used for that queue ?

Volker.
Steve Nott
Advisor

Volker,

Tried SHOW QUE/FULL LTA2 and there is no /PROCESSOR= qualifier

Steve
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

do SHOW QUEUE/FULL and look at the value of the /PROCESSOR qualifier. Is it LATSYM or PRTSYM or something else?
Solution

Steve,

if there is no /PROCESSOR=image shown, then you're using the default print-symbiont PRTSMB.

LAT queues MUST use the LATSYM print symbiont:

$ STOP/QUEUE/RESET LTA2
$ INIT/QUEUE/PROC=LATSYM LTA2
$ START/QUEUE LTA2

LATSYM uses special LAT QIOs to establish the connection to the terminal-server port before printing and disconnecting the session after the print-job is finished. As there will be no existing LAT connection when the printer is powered off, LATSYM will not notice this and will happily print the next job (after establishng a new LAT connection).

Volker.
Steve Nott
Advisor

Excellent. That has solved the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help - it is very much appreciated, and I hope I may be able to reciprocate in the future.

Thanks again

Steve
Steve Nott
Advisor

Solution provided by Volke Halle - many thanks