New Discussion

VLAN tagging on OpenVMS/HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paolo_c
Valued Contributor

VLAN tagging on OpenVMS/HP-UX

Good afternoon, 

We are due to  migrate some VMS BL860c i2's/i4's, BL870c i2 Blades and accompanying C7000 chassis to a Co-LO in around a weeks time. We recently discovered that the people who manage the Co-Lo use VLAN tagging on their switches,  Although we're not anticpating any issues  (as suspect that the C7000 should be able to handle any issues ) we are aware of an issue with VLAN tagging which affected one of our Intel servers when it was moved recently to the Co-lo.

I believe that VLAN tagging is either configured under the OA or  VC on the chassis but dont have anymore information than that. so was hopiing that someone could provide me with links /information on how to set-up VLAN tagging for OpenVMS & HP-UX.- (just in case we encounter any issues at the weekend.) ?

regards

Paul 

4 REPLIES 4
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VLAN tagging on OpenVMS/HP-UX

Paul,

you configure VLAN tagging in OpenVMS (available since V8.3) using LANCP.

Assuming you have a physical LAN device called EIA0, you configure a VLAN device for VLAN Tag 16 on this LAN interface with:

$ MC LANCP DEFINE DEVICE vla0/VLAN=eia0/TAG=16       ! define device in permanent database

$ MC LANCP SET DEVICE vla0/VLAN=eia0/TAG=16            ! define device in volatile database

And then use device VLA0 to configure your communication protocols (in TCPIP/IP use: ve0)

Volker.

Paolo_c
Valued Contributor

Hi Volker, 

Thanks for the feedback provided. With regards to the last point you highlighted on your post below

"And then use device VLA0 to configure your communication protocols (in TCPIP/IP use: ve0" .

HP sent me some documentation (V8.3 new features) which includes a section on VLAN tagging

http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/doc/83final/6679/6679pro_006.html

but doesnt make any reference to having to configure associated communcation protocols, so would be grateful if you could expand on this or point me towards the relevant documentation, as was only anticipating that we would need to set and define the VL devices (as thought these referenced the underlying cards) and that it wouldnt involve any additional changes at the TCPIP level 

regards

Paul 

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paul,

to use those VLAN devices (VLc0) for communication, you need to start 'network protocols' on them (DECnet, TCPIP, LAT etc.). Those communication products all have configuration procedures or mechanisms and you need to invoke them to re-configure those products to use the VLAN devices.

For DECnet: use VLc0 as the device for the CSMA-CD STATION(s)

For LAT: use LAT$DEVICE logical to point to VLc0, if you want to run LAT on that VLAN

For TCPIP: configure an interface ve0 to run IP over that LAN device (VLA0). And 've1' for VLB0 ...

And so on for other communication protocols.

Just configuring the VLc0 devices is not sufficient, you need to also re-configure the LAN communication products to use those new VLAN devices.

Volker.

Paolo_c
Valued Contributor

Hi Volker, 

Okay I think i've grasped it now, thank you.  

Kind regards

Paul