New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS 5.1.1 - Porting the existing application to a new OS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vinit Adya
Frequent Advisor

Lim,

The machine has been running for 14 years. Its is probably very stable. Its a critical app. Why do u want to get rid of the setup?
Just curious, what is the uptime of this node?
the command is:

$sh sys

We want to see the first line of the output. :)
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Lim, VMS applications running for decades are
fairly common, no surprise there.

We need more information to be able to help you with the specific questions you've asked. Could you please provide the following information?

1) Please post the first line of output from
$ SHOW SYSTEM in it's entirety

2) For what is this VMS system being used, in
general (shop floor, database,etc)?

3) Please find the model of VMS system in
use, probably on the front near the
Digital logo, and post here; look for
"VAX" and a number

To add to the previous replies and to address your general questions... VMS isn't a Unix implementation. The interface you'll be using to interact with the system is called "DCL" and is an "English language-type" set of commands. There are books available that try to provide some correlation between Unix/shell commands and DCL. The command structure is pretty simple. The first command you'll probably need is HELP, which is somewhat similar to the Unix "Man" pages. This will list the commands that are available to you and give you a BRIEF tutorial. A word of caution, though. There ARE some commands that can cause your system to stop operating correctly, so be careful before proceeding!!! Check around for documents in gray or orange vinyl binders with the Digital logo. You should look first for manuals that have titles like "Guide to System Management." These can provide you with a good starting point and will probably generate more questions.

Generally speaking, replacing a critical system must first be a learning process. Once you understand the system's applications and how it works for your company, we can proceed with trying to help suggest viable solutions and replacements.

Have you considered having HP visit your site to work with you to help understand your system and what it does for your business?

bob
Lim Jiann Neng

Wow! Really thanks all the VMS Experts here.

Actually, it is my boss who is worried about the machine. He was the first user when they bought it back in the days when I just enrolled my high school :) I am still optimistic about the machine but of course, looking at the dusty appearance, I think it would be wise to ease his 'fear'.

I will resume my work on Monday so I promise I will paste all the screen output here with all the commands you have taught me. I am also raring to see what the system might tell me.

Lim Jiann Neng

I just read Todd's thread on "Points"...and oops, I guess I might have assigned them not accordingly.

I will amend this for future replies, although my original intention of giving everybody full points is not only I see that reply as a solution, but also it provides me with guides to the vast knowledge in VMS.
ShyGuy
Advisor

Lim,

moving the applications on your VAX to a newer version of VMS should (as was mentioned by someone else) be as easy as upgrading the OS to the latest and greatest version, assuming the application is running in user mode.

It would also be good to know if you for example have any "special devices" attached to the system that might need special attention when you upgrade. Hence it would be nice to know the exact type of machine and if you have any "interesting" devices attached to it.

/ShyGuy
Isn't every computer a Digital computer?
Stephen Hoffman
Occasional Advisor

My first concern here would be to the integrity of the current application files and the application data. Ensure that you have reliable, complete, and consistent BACKUPs of the current system and current application configuration. (eg: a full standalone BACKUP of the system disk, and BACKUP copies of all data disks made with applications quiescent.) I would view this task -- ensuring current BACKUPs -- as critical.

I would then look for the source code for the local applications and for the names of the prerequisite products. With this information and with details of the existing VAX hardware, folks here can determine what the best upgrade path might be.

Most application images -- executable programs -- are expected to directly operate on more recent versions of OpenVMS VAX and also on other VAX systems, barring latent bugs in the code.

This path could involve an upgrade to less-old used VAX hardware, or (with the DECmigrate VAX-to-Alpha translation tool, or with the SRI or other VAX emulator for Alpha, or with the application source code and a source rebuild -- and the prerequisite products) a move to OpenVMS Alpha could be easily feasible. (Porting to OpenVMS Alpha is largely and usually a recompile-and-go operation, assuming the prereqs are available. Porting documentation is available.)

OpenVMS itself is presently being ported to Intel Itanium hardware, though I expect that any of the later VAX systems or most any AlphaServer or AlphaStation
system will provide you with years of continued service for this particular application.

Hoff
Stephen Hoffman
Occasional Advisor

My first concern here would be to the integrity of the current application files and the application data. Ensure that you have reliable, complete, and consistent BACKUPs of the current system and current application configuration. (eg: a full standalone BACKUP of the system disk, and BACKUP copies of all data disks made with applications quiescent.) I would view this task -- ensuring current BACKUPs -- as critical.

I would then look for the source code for the local applications and for the names of the prerequisite products. With this information and with details of the existing VAX hardware, folks here can determine what the best upgrade path might be.

Most application images -- executable programs -- are expected to directly operate on more recent versions of OpenVMS VAX and also on other VAX systems, barring latent bugs in the code.

This path could involve an upgrade to less-old used VAX hardware, or (with the DECmigrate VAX-to-Alpha translation tool, or with the SRI or other VAX emulator for Alpha, or with the application source code and a source rebuild -- and the prerequisite products) a move to OpenVMS Alpha could be easily feasible. (Porting to OpenVMS Alpha is largely and usually a recompile-and-go operation, assuming the prereqs are available. Porting documentation is available.)

OpenVMS itself is presently being ported to Intel Itanium hardware, though I expect that any of the later VAX systems or most any AlphaServer or AlphaStation
system will provide you with years of continued service for this particular application.

Hoff
Stephen Hoffman
Occasional Advisor

Hoff
Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

ShyGuy is right about the special hardware. Make sure all your hardware is supported by the level of OS you upgrade to.

I don't remember the exact details, but the port I was using for DECnet dialin would not be supported in OpenVMS 7.2 without purchasing an extended network product. I moved the dialin port to a router. That fixed the problem.

HTH
Marty
Lim Jiann Neng

I have checked all the model numbers and use the command "show system"...here are the details:

Using "show system", the first line is

VAX/VMS V5.1-1 on node 15-MAY-2002 00:26:10.12 Uptime 33 14:48:17

The hardware comprises 3 machines, two smaller ones with dimensions of 31cm x 28.5 cm x 13.5 cm. The bigger one is of dimension 46 cm x 40 cm x 13.5 cm.

First smaller one is identified as "Server Tape" and model no. is TK502-63.

Second smaller one is identified as "Server Disk DKB 100". Model no. is RZ55-F3.

The big one is DJ-31CP1-A and is identified as "Server Disk DKA 100".

By the way, I am not sure if HP Malaysia has the experts in VMS because I have called them to request for their staff to come in...and they haven't given me any replies yet.