5842 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS 7.3 and tcp/ip

Sk Noorul  Hassan
Regular Advisor

VMS 7.3 and tcp/ip

Hi,

We are running open vms 7.1 on VAX 4105/4106A server(128 MB memory max) with UCX 4.2 . We want to upgrade VMS verion in it. My questions are

1. Which VMS version will be most suitable for the VAX architectue as mentioned ? If v7.3 then is it possible to load v7.3 directly without loading v7.2 ?

2. Which TCPIP version will be must suitable for this ? It should provide stability.

3. What is the h/w (memory, cpu hz etc) for v7.3 to run ? Is vax 4100 capable of handling this ?
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

I would recommend the latest version, i.e. VMS V7.3 (together with some patches).

You can directly upgrade from V7.1 to V7.3.

TCPIP V5.3-Eco4 is the latest TCPIP version for VAX and from my experience it runs pretty stable.

The VAX4105 runs V7.3 just fine (I'm running such a beast).

mfg Kalle
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

I concur in the comment, 7.3 should run fine. The latest version of TCP/IP that is compatible with 7.3, with the latest patches should be stable.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

In addition to what has been said already, there are no big changes from VAX/VMS V7.1 to V7.3 so it is unlikely your applications will be troubled - however you should of course test them.

I concur with all the good advice already given, and simply add that you will need to be aware of the changes to the logical names used by the system for TCP/IP V5 over UCX. Where you may have procedures using UCX$xxx they will need to reference TCPIP$xxx instead. You may also need to run a script to translate the previous UCX data elements into the new TCPIP formats. (I think this is provided as part of the upgrade).

You will also need to consider relinking your application software kernel with the TCPIP stack (I think that there is a UCX compatible OLB for this) if it transfers data across your network from the VAX, or is used in a Client/Server environment.