1752754 Members
4765 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMS Advanced server vs CIFS/SAMBA vs Patchworks

arun sanghvi
Occasional Advisor

VMS Advanced server vs CIFS/SAMBA vs Patchworks

We have a need to access VMS file system from a PC and a terminal server.
Is there a documenting that compares the functionality of Patchwork, VMS advanced server and CIFS and pros/cons of each options?

Which option is the most reliable and provides the best throughput while access large VMS file system?

Thanks a lot.

Arun Sanghvi
910-675-6130
5 REPLIES 5
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Re: VMS Advanced server vs CIFS/SAMBA vs Patchworks

The CIFS/SAMBA port to VMS was not very stable the last time I worked with it, i.e. use at your own risk. I also believe the port was old hence many known issues were not fixed.

PATHWORKS must be purchased from HP and has concurrent user licenses that must be paid for. It works and is completely supported by HP.

I did implement SAMBA for VMS in a previous environment as a test and the biggest caveat was user level security, which is no different than using SAMBA to share to Windows. A single user owns the mount and the permissions that come with it. If more than single user permissions are needed then you are stuck.

SAMBA did work as long as the config remained simple and security was a minimum.

If you want a fully supported reliable solution, that would be PATHWORKS.

arun sanghvi
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your prompt response. Do you know of any documentation comparing Pathwork with VMS Advanced server?

Thanks.

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

If I recall, Advanced Server is the new name for Pathworks.

You should probably re-post this thread in the VMS forum instead of the HPUX forum.

Uwe and some other VMS gurus probably do not watch this forum. They have decades of experience with VMS. My VMS history only spanned 3 years of keeping it afloat.

Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

You find more info about pathworks... here:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/network/networking.html

The SAMBA kit is still fieldtest and should become production in october, I heard.

regards kalle
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

what version of VMS are you running?

If Itanium then you have to use samba

If Alpha then you can use Advanced Server or Pathworks. Advanced Server is the successor to pathworks so I would use Advanced Server V7.3B

If VAX then I think you may be stuck with Pathworks V6.1