Re: VMS Check utility

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Edgar,

It doesn't seem to have reached the docs. :-(

This was one of Guys parting gifts, lobbied for by Ambassadors for quite some time.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

rccnum,

On OpenVMS, most filetype conventions are defaults, not obligatory requirements. VMSINSTAL is a command procedure (in SYS$UPDATE) for installing software components, dating back to at least 1984 (the earliest document reference I could find easily using GOOGLE, I do not have my early documentation sets handy at this instant).

VMSINSTAL uses BACKUP savesets as container files. The names of these savesets are . [the letters starting at "A" and going forward. This was the reason for my impression that the file referenced in the original post was a VMSINSTAL kit).

Many products have shifted installation procedures to the PRODUCT INSTALL regime, which is a different set of utilities and facilities for managing and installing software.

As Edgar has pointed out, this appears not to be a VMSINATAL kit, BACKUP is simply used directly, remembering to specify both the filename and the filetype, as follows:

$ BACKUP/LOG VMS-CHECK-FEB07.A/SAVE [destination for files]

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
rccmum
Super Advisor

Does anyone know if VMS Check utility can work on OpenVMS 5.x?

If not, is there any way tools/scripts to collect the system information on 5.x or anyone has DCL procedures written and would like to share?

Thanks