54796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMS Document naming length

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karen Lee_3
Frequent Advisor

VMS Document naming length

Some of my Pathworks users have a tendancy to create very long document names on my Openvms 7.3-2 Alpha Server. I was always told there was a 132 character total length (including directory names) for VMS - is that true? Is there a limit?
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: VMS Document naming length

ODS-5 formatted disks allow for 255 subdirectories of 235 chars name (ASCII).
See HELP EXT_FILE_SPEC for more info about ODS-5 or read the fine manuals.

regards Kalle
Karen Lee_3
Frequent Advisor

i should have mentioned - we have ods-2 volumes
John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Karen,

The rules for OpenVMS filespecs can be found in the OpenVMS Users Manual (available online from http://www.hp.com/products/openvms ). See Section 3.1 "Understanding File Names and File Specifications".

Most of the limits apply to components of the filespec, but there's an overall limit of 512 bytes for the full filespec.

That said, Pathworks or Advanced Server may change the rules. For example, even on ODS-2 disks, pathworks shares can exceed the usual limit of 8 directories. You'll have to check the documentation for the exact version you're running to find the limits (though I'd be very surprised if it were as low as 132 characters).

Also realise that since pathworks is sharing to file systems with different character sets, the OpenVMS filename may be different from the user visible filename. A PC filename containing characters outside the ODS-2 character set will generate a longer OpenVMS filename. Thus, any limits may vary depending on what characters are used.

Of course, the other answer to this question is "Try it and see when it breaks!"
A crucible of informative mistakes
Dave Gudewicz
Valued Contributor

You might want to consider ODS-5. From our experience its a painless move from 2 to 5.

See help set volume/structure_level for more details.

Of course, YMMV

Dave...