108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMS HSG80 Disk access set to all

SOLVED
Go to solution
Howard_24
Advisor

VMS HSG80 Disk access set to all

I have a 5 node VMS cluster and all the units on the HSG80 controllers have their disk access set to all. This hasn't been a problem until now. I want to merge the SAN switch with another switch that has Windows boxes on it so that I can migrate the data off the HSG80's to a new EVA. The windows switch is zoned, but the VMS switch is not zoned.

My question is I would like to set the access to the HSG80 disks to only the VMS cluster members by doing a disable_access_path=all and then do a enable_access_path="connection names".

Will I need to bring the cluster down to do this?

I know that I can do the enable_access_path="connection names" command without doing the disable first, but I think that by doing that I have not stop the access to other nodes because it will give a warning when I issue the commnad that others may still have access to the disk.

The HSG80's are at ACS 8.7F-7.

Thanks,

Howard
4 REPLIES 4
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Re: VMS HSG80 Disk access set to all

Howard,

in general you can do this on-the-fly. OpenVMS will loose access to the disk, start mount-verification, find the access path to the disk again (if you've made no mistakes) and finish mount-verification.

We've done this via a scripted procedure using console manager connected to the HSG80. If you have to manually type those commands on the HSG80, you'd better type fast and without too many mistakes ;-)

I would suggest, that you try this on some scratch (or un-important) disk first.

Volker.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor
Solution

You can do it all in one command:

set dxxx dis=all ena=(conn1,conn2,...,connN)
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Howard_24
Advisor

I just tried what Tom sent and it worked without any issues. To test I did a backup from the system disk to the disk on the HSG80 while doing the dis= ena= within the same command.

I need to remember how to configure uetp to do some real disks test or is there another exerciser that can be used. I have been doing Tru64 work and my VMS skills have been forgotten.

Thanks again,

Howard
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The HSG firmware has on "on-board" test program called DILX (Disk Inline Exerciser), but you better hit the right Unit ;-)