1753894 Members
7781 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS NFS Write error

Marvs

VMS NFS Write error

Hi Guys,

I have an appliances storage and created an NFS volume and was trying to mount into an Openvms Machine. I was able to mount the NFS, however I was not able to write to that particular.

I already isolated the problem with Linux system, same as the NFS and I was able to write.

Is there any other commands that i need to issue on the VMS machine in order for me to have a write permission.

Thanks,
Marvs
6 REPLIES 6
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Marvs,

the VMS system needs a way to map (host,uid,gid) to a VMS user to determine access privileges. Else you will only have access as "nobody".

In HP TCP/IP Services, there's a proxy table that does this ($ TCPIP HELP ADD PROXY).

If your system has some other TCP/IP stack, the commands differ. Also, if your VMS or TCP/IP version are really old, replace "TCPIP" by "UCX".

HTH,
Martin
Marvs

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the bit help.

We've already add the ip and hostname to both the NFS machine and NFS user. Same problem encountered.

is there a command to set access to a certain share on the the VMS host?
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Marvs,

>>>
We've already add the ip and hostname to both the NFS machine and NFS user. Same problem encountered.
<<<

Please show us the output of
$ TCPIP SHOW PROXY
and, while you're at it,
$ TCPIP SHOW VERSION

A $ REPLY/ENABLE in action while the mount is being attempted might reveal which UID/GID the NFS client accesses the directory with.

>>>
is there a command to set access to a certain share on the the VMS host?
<<<

The "share" on the host could be a VMS directory or a Unix container file (depending on the NFS configuration of the export). If it's a VMS directory, the NFS user accesses it as the VMS user mapped by the proxy table. So, in this case, you'd have all the possibilities of granting access to a directory for a VMS user (owner, or group, or world access, or ACLs).

HTH,
Martin
Marvs

Hi again Martin.

By then, whats the command granting a rw for users on openvms?
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

>>>
whats the command granting a rw for users on openvms?
<<<

Terse questions get terse answers...

rw for ALL users?

Lacking information about the VMS version, I'll assume something sufficiently recent.

$ SET SECURITY /PROTECTION=W:RWED
$ SET SECURITY /PROTECTION=W:RWED *.*;*

cu,
Martin
Petr Spisek
Regular Advisor

Hi,
if you succesfuly mount NFS disk - your tcpip proxy setting looks well. If you are unable to write there, it really looks that protections of mounted directory are insufficient.
See to chapter: 23.1.7 How the NFS Client Maps UNIX Permissions to OpenVMS Protections
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/6526/6526pro_047.html

If you'll have still problem, send here your vms commands.

Petr