cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMS Pathworks and Windows vista/2008

Eric Sabo_1
Regular Advisor

VMS Pathworks and Windows vista/2008

Does VMS Pathworks support Vista and Windows 2008 connecting to shares? What protocols are supported by Pathworks? What is the latest version for Pathworks? We don't want to break anything with introducing vista and windows 2008 into our environment.
5 REPLIES 5
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: VMS Pathworks and Windows vista/2008

The SMB server is available with PATHWORKS Server package and with the Advanced Server package, and with the more recent CIFS/Samba server package.

PATHWORKS Server and Advanced Server are in the so-called mature status. This typically means no upgrades expected. CIFS/Samba is the upgrade path here.

No PATHWORKS 32 client support is planned for Vista nor for the Windows 7 replacement for Vista that Microsoft indicates is to arrive next year.

PATHWORKS 32 client is also in mature status. No upgrades are apparently expected.

Client options and alternatives and links over to related HP support pages (and some server-related pages) are here:

http://64.223.189.234/node/1121

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

If you are running Advanced Server 7.3B then log a call with HP as they may be able to help you.

Hoff,

I followed that link and couldn't find any alternative for DECnet access from Windows to VMS; is there one?

Cheers Richard Maher

PS. Sorry to ask another question rather than offer an answer.
Eric Sabo_1
Regular Advisor

So currently VMS - Pathworks do not support VISTA/WINDOWS 2008. Is there a offical URL that I could pass on?

With Pathwork which are the latest OS that it supports?
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The options and plans and alternatives for DECnet on Microsoft Windows platforms or more general plans for the operation of OpenVMS within Windows environments in general? I don't know about that. (That's a good question to ask of HP, though.)

One of the few DECnet stacks I'm aware of (outside of the DEC OS stacks and PATHWORKS 32) is the Linux DECnet stack, and that project has been quiet over the past five years or so. And the Linux DECnet stack is (was?) obviously not targeting Windows.

What information I have on the client and server options and alternatives (and links over to related HP support pages) for interoperating with Microsoft Windows platforms are posted here:

http://64.223.189.234/node/1121