108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS Server And WindowXP Client..can make a connection using PAthworks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

I am very grateful of you(anderson) for providing relevant info so quickly..

You mean vax vms ver 5.2 need to install PW v5.0F and win XP pro with PW V7.4.

And there should be no problem to make a pathworks connection between these two machines. It will work fine? isn't it?

Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

PW V5.0F and PW32 V7.4 are the "latest and greatest" for your environment.

BUT !!

> And there should be no problem to make a
> pathworks connection between these two
> machines. It will work fine? isn't it?

I'm not sure about licensing for the server.

You NEED to read the documentation !!!!
You said in an eralier thread that you were afraid of loosing your job.
Start DOING your job as an OpenVMS System Manager.

Do you think I have all information stored in my head ? I have a lot of VMS-documentations behind my back and I know the URL to the OpenVMS related docsets.

Hakan

Don't take this the wrong way........
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

To transfer data between NARS for VMS and NARS for Windows, Pathworks or TCP/IP FTP is used. Both of these transport mechanisms allow NARS to transfer data files between
the NCP(NARS for VMS) and the NARS PC(Win XP pro).

Earlier we were using TCP/IP FTP. BUt now we want to use Pathworks.
We have VMS v5.2 and WindowXP Pro For pathwork installation.

Is it must that both the machine have same version of pathworks to trasfer data between NARS for VMS and NARS for windows.

Or if we have NARS for VMS with PW v5.0F and NARS for windows with PW v7.4. Is it possible to transfer data files between these two machines using pathworks???
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

see earlier answer from brad McCusker re: pathworks version supported on vms and xp client connectivity for pathworks.
what is about ftp that does'nt suit what you need to do ? is it causing issues ? if so what are those issues ?

Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

Hi Brad:--
ur ans:-There is NO releationship between PATHWORKS on the PC and PATHWORKS on VMS. You do not need one to use the other - with one exception: DECnet. If you plan to use DECnet to communicate between your VAX and your PC then you need PATHWORKS on the PC to provide the DECnet stack on the PC. Otherwise, you do not need PATHWORKS on the PC.

==========================================
Yes we are doing this for DECnet.We want to use DECnet to communicate between VAX and PC.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

yogesh,

brad used to work for HP OVMS engineering, one of his areas of responsibility was pathworks so i would listen to what he has to say.
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

Yogesh,

Why is DECnet desired over TCP/IP??

If you use TCP/IP you don't need to install PATHWORKS on the XP client. If the XP client hardware is dual-core or has an intelligent NIC, you don't want to use DECnet on the PC.

If you want to use PATHWORKS on the VAX and allow clients to map drives to it, one of several licenses is required. Probably best if you just posted the output from $ SHOW LIC rather than trying to explain what licenses are valid.

And, in order for WinXP clients to connect to a PATHWORKS for OpenVMS v5.0F server, you need a set of PATHWORKS patches (which I can provide)...

In any case, setting up PATHWORKS for OpenVMS is not a trivial task - the documentation set consists of several manuals for a reason ;o)...

Paul
Lucky Regent
Frequent Advisor

Hi Paul,
u write:--And, in order for WinXP clients to connect to a PATHWORKS for OpenVMS v5.0F server, you need a set of PATHWORKS patches (which I can provide)...

============================================

Where we need to install these patches i mean on WinXp or OpenVMS machine.And after installing these patches can we able to make a connection between these two machine even they are on different pathworks versions.
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

If I'm not way off......don't you need both a server and client licenses ?

Hakan
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

You need a client license for each client session. I used to have a system with 4 license and a dozen users that with no issues as long as no one mapped a drive to VMS shares. Server based licensing allows this. In client based licensing you need a license for client. Not sure if those specific terms appeared in the 5.x Server doc or showed up in 6xxx.

If I recall correctly, some of the VAX NAS license PAKs included Pathworks connectivity.

If you're still having issues after the information posted here Yogesh, I'd recommend seriously considering consulting services to baseline your current environment, review your objectives, and provide setup assistance. HP can do this, as can many of the members of this forum.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net