1753500 Members
4487 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMS TCPIP 5.3 on VMS 7.3-1

Larry Cox
Occasional Advisor

VMS TCPIP 5.3 on VMS 7.3-1

Will VMS/TCPIP relearn a route to a network device if the route changes? Or, perhaps a better question is, should VMS care as long as the default gateway is available. In this particular situation, the gateway didn't change but a subnet was added on the other side of the gateway. When that happened, connectivity to network printers was lost until I bounced TCPIP services on VMS.

A VMS newbie....
Larry Cox
6 REPLIES 6
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: VMS TCPIP 5.3 on VMS 7.3-1

is dynamic routing enabled ?

No it isn't.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Do you have the results of a traceroute to a printer at the time? I thought that the VMS system would send everything that does not have an explict route to the default gateway. I wonder if there was another problem (not routing) that was fixed by the restart of tcpip.

No I don't and you are correct it could be another but related problem.

I am accustomed to other OS's depending on a default gateway to route WAN traffic. I have heard that VMS handles WAN traffic differently and depends on "learned routes" in cache. Is that true and can you explain?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

If dynamic routing is not enabled then VMS uses the static defined routines. However I have seen TCPIP for VMS pick up routes when mtu_path was set to 1

The core routing functionality should act the same as HPUX (as that is where the tcpip stack came from).

OK, Thanks!