108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS autoboot after BUGCHK

SOLVED
Go to solution
djk
Advisor

VMS autoboot after BUGCHK

I have two Vax systems (Charon-VAX Model 400/108) and each one is configured with a RESTART CONTROL SETTING of HALT.

I have notice on rare occassions when one of the systems has a BUGCHECK, that it will automatically reboot/restart. It appears the RESTART CONTROL SETTING is being overriden.

QUESTION 1 - Does the BUGREBOOT parameter control this behavior?

QUESTION 2 - What are the possible parameter values for BUGREBOOT and what affect to they have?

SYSGEN> SHOW BUGREBOOT
Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max. Unit Dynamic
-------------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ---- -------
BUGREBOOT 1 1 0 1 Boolean D
6 REPLIES 6
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

From the VMS documentation:

--
BUGREBOOT (D)

BUGREBOOT enables or disables automatic rebooting of the system if a fatal bugcheck occurs. This parameter should normally be on ( 1 ); set it off ( 0 ) only when the executive is being debugged.
--

In other words, "yes" and "boolean", respectively.

Decoding the posted SYSGEN display, The values for the parameter BUGREBOOT are current value of 1, a default value of 1, a minimum value of 0, a maximum value of 1, the value is a boolean (0=off, 1=on), and it is a Dynamic parameter meaning the value can be changed without a reboot.

The documentation is available via SYSGEN> HELP and via the OpenVMS documentation. In this case, the appendix of the System Manager's Utilities manual, as was the source of the above text.

The documentation is available at:

http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc

Select V7.3 and follow the links.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

djk,

the HALT setting on a VAX (and a CHARON-VAX is considered a VAX for that matter), does not control behaviour after an OpenVMS crash.

It controls the action of the console for power-up or any of the various unexpected HALT situations of the CPU or the OpenVMS operation system.

If a HALT situation happens, the setting determines what the system should do:

HALT - remain halted
BOOT - boot
RESTART - try restart, if it fails: HALT
RESTART_REBOOT - try restart, if it fails: boot

Volker.
djk
Advisor

Where do I find information regarding the various values used on the RESTART CONTROL setting. I have seen refrences to SET HALT 2 and SET HALT 4 and would like further understanding of these settings, their use, etc.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

As far as VMS is concerned, an emulator is just hardware.

If you want to know how your hardware works, then you'll want to see the hardware manuals and related documentation.

Here's some that seems to be the emulator's equivalent of the VAX front-panel switch or VAX console switch settings.

http://www.winvms.com/images/AN-011.pdf

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

djk,

the CHARON-VAX 4000-108 emulator fully emulates a real CHARON-VAX 4000 Model 108 including the console layer.

Pointer to a copy of the

OpenVMS Systems Operations
Guide: VAX 4000 and VAXstation
4000 Systems
Order Number: EK-V4000-OG. A01

http://alge.anart.no/projects/vax/v4000oga.pdf

This manual shows the various possible settings of the HALT parameter in the console.

Volker.
djk
Advisor

Excellent responses. I have the information needed. Thanks to all.