108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMS clustering question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

VMS clustering question

We have a two (2) nodes cluster and having problems with getting both nodes of this cluster operating. I believe this is an Active/Active cluster configuration.

Where should begin to look at for symtoms/issues???

Thanks,
Jorge
6 REPLIES 6
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VMS clustering question

Jorge,

what is the cluster interconnect (LAN only or any shared SCS/IO bus) ?

Is a quorum disk in use (if a shared IO bus is available) ?

Shared System disk ?

For a plain 2-node cluster without a quorum disk, just give 1 VOTE to each node and set EXPECTED_VOTES=2. Make sure you have the same cluster group number and password on both systems and make sure a working LAN connection exists. Then boot the 2 nodes and the cluster should form. When shutting down any node, use REMOVE_NODE, so that the remaining node can continue to run. Just halting one node will cause the other one to wait for quorum.

For more information, describe your physical configuration.

What 'does not work' ?

Volker.

Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

Review the "Guidelines for OpenVMS Cluster Configurations" manual and verify the hardware configuration you have is supported.

Next review the "OpenVMSCluster Systems" manual.

Then you should be able to ask for more specific help.

Bill
Bill Hall
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

What messages are you receiving?

What behavior is happening?

What is your hardware configuration (CPUs, Interconnect, Storage)? (This is VERY important; OpenVMS clusters are probably the most flexible clustering scheme in IT, but certain hardware configurations have very specific hardware requirements.)

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

OpenVMS is "active/active" by design in a cluster configuration. Your application may only support being started on one node a time.

What are the symptom of "getting both nodes operating?" Can you boot both nodes into a cluster? Do you have a quorum disk? What version of VMS is involved? What's the hardware, storage and cluster interconnect?

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Mrityunjoy Kundu
Frequent Advisor

what type of cluster inter connect is used by your cluster?
Is there any quorum disk configured?

Please send details of sysgen prameters values---expected_votes,qdskvotes,vote
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Sorry for wasting you guys time on this. It's over my head, therefore, I called in the experts. When and if they find the problem, I'd be happy to post the result here for everyone.

Thank you for your time.

Jorge