108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMS' domain name

roose
Regular Advisor

VMS' domain name

Hi Folks,

Let me just ask these dumb questions regarding the domain name's usage in VMS:

1. What is the use of the domain name on a VMS server since we are not joining our Windows domain anyway? What I can think of right now is its usage if we're using it as a web server or for emails.

2. Is it possible to setup and startup TCP/IP services without a domain name?

3. Will changing/removing the node's domain name require a restart of the TCP/IP services?

Thanks in advance to those who will give me their advices.
4 REPLIES 4
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

Re: VMS' domain name

1. The domain name can also be used in DNS lookups. It's most commonly used when sending smtp mail, although an alternate domain can be configured in the smtp setup.

2. Possible yes. At a minimum all you really need to get TCPIP running is a valid address and network mask configured on one interface. For no other reason than it's in "core configuration" why not set up a dummy domain?

3. No, see TCPIP HELP SET NAME_SERVICE /DOMAIN (current) and TCPIP SET CONFIG NAME_SERVICE/DOMAIN (permanent).

The domain in TCPIP refers internet domain such as "hp.com" or "google.com." A (Microsoft) windows domain is something different.

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
roose
Regular Advisor

Hi,

If this is the case, can I then remove the domain value totally?

I've tried some of the commands that Andy mentioned from his reply but I seem to be getting into problems here.

My test server is an AlphaServer ES40 running OpenVMS v7.3-2 TCP/IP v5.4 ECO5.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

You may need to specify a non-null domain
name to keep the TCPIP software happy. This
will probably be much easier than trying to
figure out how to make it work without a
domain name.

Perhaps "no.domain". (I'll guess that it
will want a dot in there, too.)

Do you have a good reason not to do this?
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Roose.

If you use NFS utilities and TCPIP version is upper of 5.0 you might have problems with mount utility (does not work fine) if domain name is not defined.

Saludos.
Daniel.