Operating System - OpenVMS
1753894 Members
7889 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS system monitoring software for HP Openview.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Mobeen,

Just hope that XP is there after a disaster.

Does BMC check quotas, tcp service limits, print queues, looping things (and the allowed ones), shadow set changes, file versions (32K), DTSS, global pages, device errors (and not the ones that are allowed such as recovered write errors), decnet transport limits, ... ?

Gino,

The doc of robomon is not very concreet. You'll have to ask a demo version.
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Mobeen,

Just checked your links. It seems BMC is doing most of the things. But how do you specify all the exceptions ?

E.g. certain images/users/process names do things that are forbidden to all others. And do you have to tell that for every node ?

Can you also add checks yourself ?

Wim
Wim
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Wim

I am afraid you do things much more subtle that the standard tools

:-)
Dale A. Marcy
Trusted Contributor

Robomon has been used here for several years and we are happy with it. You can customize it to run command procedures when events occur to tailor the notification you receive about the event.
Gino Castoldi_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Dale:

Are you running RoboMon with OVO or just NNM
by itself?

10 points to any good answers or ideas.
TIA, Gino
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Gino,
what do you wish exactly?
I've seen you are expert in this area so I guess you will know as vms people works and what are their needing.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Dale A. Marcy
Trusted Contributor

We are not running OVO, we just run the Robomon Automation portion of the Heroix software. I forgot about your OVO portion of the question by the time I got down the responses where Robomon was being discussed.
Mobeen_1
Esteemed Contributor

Wim,
Good that you checked some of the links :), i would not have to talk about them.

Yes, you can specify exceptions that are common among all your nodes only on one node and then commit the KM. When you do this, the same rule/exception will apply to other nodes as well.

If you have any DCL command procedures that you would want to do, the same could be done.

In addition to this, you can also cutomize the KMs (Knowledge Modules). Trust me a lot can be done and was done on our environment.

As for the XP, i totally agree with you. I had to reinstall all the console s/w couple of times :-)
But you also have the option of running it on Unix.

You could also monitor for some thresholds and set pages/emails for certain alerts and follow those up with some recovery actions (this could be any DCL procedure)

Do let me know if you have any specific questions.

regards
Mobeen
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

cockpit manager
www.hp.be/CockpitMgr
will also feed events into HP Openview.
However I don't know what version of VMS can be be monitored - ask Johan (address on above page) as he's a helpful person and would know the answer.

Mobeen,

Still a few questions.

Is BMC starting a process for each check ?
What is the system load of BMC (%cpu, of course including child processes) ?

What should be the approx cost for it for usage on a GS160 with 2 cpu's ? And for an alpha station 500 ?

Gino,

Be aware that if you use snmp to pass the alarm that this is a one try shot. In case of network problems your alarm is lost.
Wim