6079 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS versus UNIX

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wim,

Also : DEC did bad marketing 15 years ago.

Make that: DEC (and follow-ons) dir that for the _DURATION_ of (at least) 15 years,
and I fully agree!

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Also : Unix is a lot faster (cache, dirty IO's, RMS slowdown, file extention slowdown, working set extention slowdown, ...).

Wim
Wim
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Win

Unix is a lot faster

25 years ago I worked with a OS specific to Real Time applications (MPX-32). Yes it was a very fast OS, but controls over operations were very bad, if you defined in FORTRAN 77 an array IEX(3) and index had a non valid value (index=-32767) when you intended assign value of array IEX(-32767) then system crashed.
Yes, very faster but very bad mistakes or errors control.
Saludos.
Daniel
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

"Unix sources can be exchanged over Unix platforms without big changes."
Only if carefully written otherwise porting from one version of unix to another version of unix can be a lot of work.

The mistaken attitude is that unix is not propritary. Most unixes belong to somebody and they are all different but have the same flaws.
You get a system running on one unix flavour and theoretically you can move it but in practice its a lot of work.

I guess the answer is market perception - where are VMS Marketing? VMS is complient with more standards than a lot of unixes (posix etc) but nobody notices.

Ian.

.. but have the same flaws ..

If THAT were true, things would be easy in *UX land!
No, they all have DIFFERENT flaws (only mostly the same TYPE of flaws), so you have to adapt separately to each different one.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Wim,

Add these causes:
No checks on privilege, protection, security, buffer/stack/data area overflow, invalid concurrency (locks), OS/system health oin evry level. No real error control.

(well, some may have improved but in my yougre days these were certainly true)

Willem
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager