1752588 Members
3837 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMS7.3-1 mounts to Windows

Anthony Tyrell_1
Occasional Contributor

VMS7.3-1 mounts to Windows

I have read a few bits and pieces of articles that seem to suggest it is possible to mount VMS disks via a Windows platform much in the same way as Samba or TAS in UNIX. Is this possible or simply an urban myth ? thanks
4 REPLIES 4
├Еge R├╕nning
Trusted Contributor

Re: VMS7.3-1 mounts to Windows

OpenVMS Advanced Server product information could be found at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/solutions/enterprisefile.html

Samba was actually reversed engineered from this product or to be more exact the former product that used to be called PathWorks. See interesting article about how Samba came to be at the following link:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/os/story/0,2000048630,20280072,00.htm
VMS Forever
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Yes Anthony,
you can mount and see a VMS disk from windows but there are some limitation:
a)using windows xp client you need last version of advanced server V7.3 (I yet can't tested);
b)vms work only as PDC or BDC; this means you can mount a domain with etereogenous OS youc can't use win XP or win 2K or win 2k3 with active directory.
c)there are a few bugs with client xp;
d)you cannot (or I don't know) read a windows shared folder from vms because vms don't work as client of PC
e)vms, as PDC can validate user on domain;
f)vms use lan manager protocol v2.2 (as windows NT3.5); in large network, lan manager send much broadcast.
If you need other information, post your request: I can help you because my customer are using A/S and pathwork currently.

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

- V7.3A may act as PDC, BDC or Memberserver
- it behaves like an 4.0 server
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

As a memeber indeed - the primary server needs to be a Windows machine. So if you have one domain controller it will be both PDC and BDC - acting as Windows 3.51 (or 4.0, perhaps, but _by_no_means_ higher than that)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager