7137 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMS732_LAN-V0700 and AVAIL_MAN_ANA_SRVR V3.0-2

Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Graham,

interesting! There shouldn't be any buffers outstanding - but maybe that is the problem.

I have not observed pool consumption issues on other nodes which have had the availability manager server running for long periods, so perhaps there is a problem with the way in which the LAN patch has been implemented.

I will play with LAN_FLAGS on Monday and report back.

Duncan
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Duncan,

the extract from the release notes found by Graham certainly explains the '5000' number seen.

AMDS will most likely NEVER have 5000 'outstanding' network IOs at the same time, but there may be some problem in some return path from the LAN driver, which does not correctly decrement the number of outstanding buffers and therefore cause this problem.

This problem can only be diagnosed and solved by the HP engineering team, which designed this new algorithm and patch. Maybe you can work around the immediate issue with the LAN_SYSTEM_FLAGS system parameter, but the underlying problem must be fixed.

Volker.
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Volker - I agree with your analysis.

Graham - It looks as though setting BIT 16 in LAN_FLAGS has provided a temporary workaround, as there are currently more than 5000 received PDUs showing on the latest device.

Clearly an unexpected interaction between the new algorithm and Availability Manager. Only HP will be able to determine which one is at fault!

I will be escalating this tomorrow (Monday).

Duncan
klingeren

Hi there, same problem over here, running LAN V700, on analyzer node en data provider nodes. AMDS traffic stops and AMDS must be stopped and started again to be able to monitor for a while (sometimes a few minutes)
Can anyone tell status?
regards, Rene
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Given the timing, it appears unlikely we'll see an update for this misbehavior prior to "lockdown", so set the bit flag cited earlier as a potential work around, and (if there's formal support in place) report this to HP.
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Rene,

these problems are not described in the release notes for the newer V3.1 Availability Manager - but are documented in the VMS V8.4 release notes!!!

See section 4.5 from this document:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/84final/6677/6677pro_sm.html

Correspondence with HP support resulted in them saying that there was nothing wrong with the LAN patch, nor with Availability Manager - their only solution was to use set the LAN_FLAGS bit.

Duncan
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

The only resolution for this issue appears to be the setting of the LAN_FLAGS bit as indicated.