Operating System - OpenVMS
1752805 Members
5397 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VTfm - new release 2.2-9: speed up Copy operation.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vladimir K. Vershinin
Frequent Advisor

VTfm - new release 2.2-9: speed up Copy operation.

VTfm - new release 2.2-9:

- speed up Copy operation more than 3 times
(127 blocks size of I/O buffer);
- change ^P function key (extract Previous
command line) to ^V (extract preVious
command line) for use VTfm on Console
terminal.

You can download VTfm kit from http://eisner.encompasserve.org/vershinin/vtfm.zip. Unzip VTFM.ZIP and read README.TXT in [.VTFM] subdirectory.

Vladimir Vershinin,
vershinin-vk@tochka.ru
13 REPLIES 13
Vladimir K. Vershinin
Frequent Advisor

Re: VTfm - new release 2.2-9: speed up Copy operation.

Sorry, error in download URL.
The valid URL is http://eisner.encompasserve.org/~vershinin/vtfm.zip .

Vladimir Vershinin,
vershinin-vk@tochka.ru
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

you are a busy person with this :-)
You may be able to get the lasted version to the collector of freeware at hp if you are quick.

Yes, Ian, I already submitted this version to Hunter Goatley and HP Freeware CD.

And now about "busy person with this".

Yes, I not a young man (born in 1952) and I started work on Digital hardware and software in 1978 (PDP-11/70 with IAS and later RSX-11M). I have 20+ years work experience on OpenVMS: software and database development (C, BASIC, ACMS, RDB, RALLY, TDMS, DATATRIEVE, TPU...) and system management (last job in SWIFT department of Savings Bank of the Russian Federation). But now in Russia OpenVMS
exists in very small quantity of organizations and I w/o job because of older than 40 (???!!!). But I hope that I may develop useful software (unfortunately only for OpenVMS). For this I use OpenVMS v7.3 under SIMH v3.2-3 under WindowsXP Pro SP1.

Best regards,
Vladimir Vershinin,
vershinin-vk@tochka.ru
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Good luck in finding a new job - and don't forget to upgrade to XP SP2.

I have a HP notebook and followed their instructions to upgrade some software components before putting SP2 on the box. It went pretty smooth.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Vladimir,
doesn't exist a market-place to porting vms by Itanium?
New Itanium Pricing is very aggressive!

Cheers
Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Vladimir K. Vershinin
Frequent Advisor

Hi, Uwe!

Thank you for your desire about new job. But after 1 year of job search I realized that I have no any chance because of my age and because of the younger generation in Russia knows only Windows and various *nix. And they hear only the West. It is possible that I is one of the last software developers for serious OSes in the Russia. Because of the above I decided to develop some useful (I hope) software for OpenVMS promotion in the world and, hence, in the Russia. It's my choice.

Uwe, I returned to SP1 after SP2 because of incompatibility with Kaspersky Anti-Hacker program (see http://www.kaspersky.com ).

Hi, Antonio!

Your question: "Doesn't exist a market-place to porting vms by Itanium?" (in Russia). My answer: "Of course, but years later". Why? See my answer to Uwe.

Sincerely,
Vladimir Vershinin

P.S. My regards to King Ian Miller. King of... what?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Vladimir,
king of what? - I have no idea.
I'm just a vms fanatic who is trying to be helpful because its fun, educational for me, and parhaps encourage people towards the worlds best operating system.

Parhaps you know these people http://www.starlet.spb.ru/

Vladimir,

I am glad to see that you have changed the ^P function key as I suggested in yours previous thread. Once I see what hapens, when a programer which knows only a little of system management, typed a ^P on a console. When he see the SRM prompt >>>, the only command which comes him in mind was B. You know what was the consequences.

Bojan
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Ian is the current king of ITRC OpenVMS forums ;-)

(a rightly earned honor, if I am allowed to say)