3788 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Veritas NetBackup Client on OpenVMS

Mike Homewood
Occasional Contributor

Veritas NetBackup Client on OpenVMS

I am running Veritas NetBackup Client V5.0MP5
on a server running OpenVMS V6.2 and UCX V4.1.
My question is, How can I prevent the tcp/ip stack from hanging when more than 1 instance of the NetBackup is running on the system ?
I am using a DE500-BA network card at 100Mb Full Duplex.
4 REPLIES 4
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

What do you meaning hanging? What does not respond?

It locks up the entire tcp/ip stack.
Nothing that uses tcp/ip works, telnet, FTP, etc...
John Donovan_4
Frequent Advisor

We are using NetBackup as well on OpenVMS 7.3-2 to a tape silo. We have had to install a separate ethernet card (went for the giga-bit for speed) and pointed NetBackup to use that new interface. /CLIENT=the NetBackup interface.
We were experiencing SO much lag on our general network that we had to put the backups onto to its own segment. I hope this helps.
"Difficult to see, always in motion is the future..."
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

We run a v4 client on all of our VMS (from 7.3-1 to 8.2). We have on the majority of these environments also installed seperate NICs. We did this for better throughput and no impact on normal network traffic. On a few of our clusters we do not have this option (no other VLAN just for backups - Yet). We have not experienced that problem.

I would suggest bringing this to Veritas (or is it Symantec now) and get them involved. You might also need to tweak that account that the netbackups start with. We do all of our backups with a seperate account. It normally wants to use System but we changed it so that it starts with another account & we increased parameters on that account just for higher I/O.

I know its not much help but at least you of at least 2 other places now that use seperate backup network. One to decrease problems and the other to decrease possible impact on the normal network.