1752795 Members
5971 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Volume set repair

Michael Purdy
Advisor

Volume set repair

We have a 2 node cluster VMS 7.2-1 and 2 volume sets. 2 disks were removed from a volume set and used elsewhere. Is it possible to repair the volume set to continue without the 2 disks. The mount command fails with failed to lock volume and device is not mounted. I do not think the disks were removed cleanly from the vol set, any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Never used volumesets but to my knowledge you can not repair it.

Wim
Wim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I think it's time to test your recovery strategy - do you have a backup?

How many disks in each set?

The problem is that some or all of each file would have been on the disks that where removed.

Michael,

Sorry, but NO way! Part of your data (about 2/3) is (was) on the disks that are used elsewhere.
And if you find a single drive big enough to hold all, even a restore to that drive is not straightforward. An /IMAGE restore WILL want to restore each file(-fragment) to its original Relative Volume Number.
_IF_ you had _NO_ file aliasses on that set, _THEN_ you can restore the whole saveset to a mounted Files-11 drive. Make sure not to forget /OWN=ORIGINAL !

I wish you good luck and success. I think you will need both.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Michael,

Obviously, the data on the two volumes that were removed is lost (presuming that they were overwritten).

It may be possible to recover some of the contents of the remaining volumes (actually, I told a war story about just such an incident at the 1990 European DECUS Symposium).

I am in the middle of something, I will try to comment more extensively later.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Michael Purdy
Advisor

Thanks for the inputs. Could be a case of RTFM for Volume sets. At the moment I have a backup to restore, but would like to save the data on the remaining RVN├В┬┤s at this point if possible. I have tried mounting individual shadow sets (RVN├В┬┤s) but have the same problem as RVN 6 is not available. Surely it must be possible to mount and backup single RVN├В┬┤s, no? (I├В┬┤ve tried the /vol=n switch).

If not I have to init the Volume set and hope I can restore the original files to the smaller volume set...
Robert_Boyd
Respected Contributor

By reading the documentation on BACKUP and volume sets you will find the instructions for restoring a single member of a volume set from your backup. I believe the HELP for BACKUP has some information on this as well.

I haven't done this in years, but it is possible to just restore the missing volumes from your last backup.

You will have to provide drives of course.

If you want to back up the contents of the untouched members of the volume set before proceeding, you can always do a BACKUP/PHYSICAL of them for safekeeping.

After making a physical backup of them, you could try restoring just the 2 missing drives and mounting the volume set. If it will mount at all, then you can do a file level backup of the 2 good volumes by using the /VOLUME qualifier to specify which one(s) you want to select.

After backing up the files, then you can attempt an ANALYZE/DISK [/REPAIR] on the volume set and see just how bad things look.

Robert
Master you were right about 1 thing -- the negotiations were SHORT!
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

You can also copy-delete files that are already restored. To another disk that is.

Wim
Wim
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Michael,

Before doing anything else, take the surviving members of the volume set offline.

As I mentioned previously, it is possible to recover the data on the surviving members of the volume set.

Having done this very procedure (as a result of a head crash), it is doable (and ironically) fully within the Files-11 specification. However, it is delicate procedure, and involves faking out MOUNT and carefully using the results from ANALYZE.

If the data is valuable, it is worth doing. This is particularly true for very large volume sets (such as the one that you describe).

It is difficult to describe the detailed steps to recover this situation in a reasonable length posting, but it is possible to recover the files on the surviving volumes.

If I can be of assistance, please drop me a note by private email.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com

Michael Purdy
Advisor

OK, so the Volume set was made up of 6x 2 disk shadow sets, 1 shadow set was removed. All the data is backed up. All the remaining disks have been dismounted. I have started to do a Backup /physical of $10$DKA0: of the first shadow set, and will take a backup of the other four disks too. then plan A is to init the volume set with the 5 shadow sets and restore the whole volume to this...