108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Volume set repair

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Michael,

so you HAVE 10 disks?

I think you stand a much better chance, if you re-create a 6-volume set from 6 shadowsets, with 2 of those shadow sets being single-disk. (AFTER you finish the physical BACKUPs, of course).

That would mean that at the logical level you are re-creating the same configuration.

You sacrifice some redundancy (and perhaps some read-performance) but it _IS_ the same logical structure as the one you saved!

And after you get that back on line, real quickly start planning how to get to full redundancy, and how to prevent this thing from happening again!

Success.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Michael,

My preference here would be to disconnect one of each of the shadow sets (and reclone). I would then put the preserved members aside (phyisically).

You can then re-create the missing volume ONLY. The MOUNT will then work, albeit with any elements missing that were on the lost pack.

Recovering beyond this is a manual operation, involving the ANALYZE/DISK utility. As a starting point, you should not have to restore the entire volume set UNTIL AFTER there is an understanding of the degree of the damage.

Generally speaking, files created DO NOT, unless no space exists on the current volume, straddle members of the volume set.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Michael Purdy
Advisor

The volume set was reinitialised and the data restored from backup...

Thanks, dank je wel, merci vielmal, for all replies.

-Mike