New Discussion юеВ

Re: Volume shadowing betwen HSZ80 and HSG80

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Volume shadowing betwen HSZ80 and HSG80

Hi,

I have two DS20e with a double HSZ80 and a DS25 with a HSG80. All three systems have the VOLSHAD license and OpenVMS 7.3-1. Is it posible to create volume shadow sets betwen the HSZ80 and HSG80 devices?

Bojan
15 REPLIES 15
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Hi Bojan.

It depends a bit. Are the devices presented with EXACTLY the same number of blocks after INIT?
Then there is no problem.

But I expect the HSG to hold bigger disks..
Then, it CAN be done since V7.3-2, and there WERE plans to also make this available with a patch kit for 7.3-1, but I don't remember seeing it. Cannot check now, and since we went 7.3-2 I was no longer that much interested in 7.3-1 kits... :-(

So, my guess is that going 7.3-2 will be the way (7.3-1 is soon no longer supported anyway).

hth,

Jan
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

I forgot to say that both disks are 36G but after init they differ for some 100 blocks. Upgrading to 7.3-2 is the last option.

Bojan
John Eerenberg
Valued Contributor
Solution

It is never a problem to go into the controllers themselves and partition the disk so that match exactly.

If you need instructions on how to do that, just let us know. You may have to do it to both but with a little luck, only one controller needs to partition the disk(s).

john
It is better to STQ then LDQ
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Bojan,

Did you init the disk on a HSG using a 'save on disk' qualifier ?
If so, the disk looses some blocks for information wich you better can not have on the disk. It actualy makes the disk hardcoded in some slot. But this is youre problem :-( . I never do this anymore. Normaly the disks should have the same size on a HSZ and a HSG. Both are (to be honoust) the same controllers only the HSZ is SCSI/SCSI and the HSG is Fiber/SCSI (HSV is Fiber/Fiber).

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

John,

Yours solution seems great. I will try to test it sooner posible.

Anton,

Thats probably the reason for the size difference. The disks was not initialized by me so I must check.

Points (a lot of them) will arrive after testing!

Bojan
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Bojan,

Your best option is to install V7.3-2 (from V7.3-1 it's really just a big patch kit! There should be NO application compatibility issues)

You will then enjoy dissimiliar device shadowing (DDS), dynamic volume expansion (DVE), and (with VMS732_HBMM-V0200 due by the end of this week) host based mini merge. DDS was created SPECIFICALLY to deal with the issue of shadowing across different controllers. DVE opens a whole new world of storage management, including the ability to upgrade your storage with ZERO downtime. HBMM will reduce your merge times by orders of magnitude.

Although it *may* be possible to adjust volumes to be precisely the same size, it's very fiddly.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Fodil ATTAR
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

May I suggest to have a look to the discussion about HBMM Experience whith WBM_MSG_UPPER dynamic system parameter

especially the 2 lasts messages.

the link is :

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=686571

Regards,

Fodil.
We must become the change we want to see cf. GHANDI
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

""DVE opens a whole new world of storage management, including the ability to upgrade your storage with ZERO downtime.""

Can you enlarge the header bitmap in INDEXF.SYS with DVE?
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

"Can you enlarge the header bitmap in INDEXF.SYS with DVE?"
I think the way this is done is that you can expand a volume up to the limit which is set when the volume is inited. This limit sets the size of the storage bitmap. INDEXF.SYS can grow anyway.