108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Volume shadowing betwen HSZ80 and HSG80

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I am talking about the file header bitmap, not BITMAP.SYS.
Keith Parris
Trusted Contributor

When you create a partition on the controller, use the keyword/parameter BLOCK=nnnn instead of SIZE=nn to specify the size of the partitition. SIZE=nn specifies a percentage of the disk space, whereas BLOCK=nnnn refers to an exact number of 512-byte blocks.
Keith Parris
Trusted Contributor

Sorry -- my note above was in response to John's "Although it *may* be possible to adjust volumes to be precisely the same size, it's very fiddly."

I was trying to point out that indeed it *can* be done, and how one does the "fiddly" part.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

To answer Uwe's question "Can you enlarge the header bitmap in INDEXF.SYS with DVE?", no you can't. However, you CAN expand INDEXF.SYS, and you can expand the storage bitmap.

The default value for MAXIMUM_FILES (and hence the header bitmap) is more the maximum possible number of files on the disk, but is based on the current size, not the expansion limit. If you intend to populate the volume with minimum sized files (ie 1 cluster), then you may need to take this into account when initialising.

Each additional million files will cost you 256 blocks of disk space for the header bitmap, allocated at initialisation time. As is often the case, with forethought, a small investement up front may save you a lot of grief in the future.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I will try to make the shadow sets Saturday afternoon. The 7.3-2 is still not an option (I think that this is the best solution). So yours responses will help me much.

Bojan
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Thanks to all,

The problem was solved issuing the INITIALIZE command on the controler.

INITIALIZE container CAPACITY=size

Partitioning was not used because the controlers are in dual-redundant mode and CREATE_PARTITION displays an error that this operation is not allowed when controlers are in dual-redundant mode.

Bojan