108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

WSEXTENT >= WSDEFAULT & WSQUOTA always?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Clark Powell
Frequent Advisor

WSEXTENT >= WSDEFAULT & WSQUOTA always?

A display of PQL minimum values on a system appeared as shown below. My question is does WSEXTENT have to be >= to WSDEFAULT or WSQUOTA or is WSEXTENT superfluous in this case? My guess is superfluous but it all depends on how the code was written...

PQL_MWSDEFAULT 207864
PQL_MWSQUOTA 417728
PQL_MWSEXTENT 32768

thanks
Clark
5 REPLIES 5
Gregg Parmentier
Frequent Advisor

Re: WSEXTENT >= WSDEFAULT & WSQUOTA always?

I thaught wsextent was the amount with which it increments your usage when you need to add more.

So it allocates wsdefault when you start, then increments as needed by wsextent at a time to a maximum of wsquota.

Or am I remmebering wrong?
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

Gregg,

>>>
I thaught wsextent was the amount with which it increments your usage when you need to add more.

So it allocates wsdefault when you start, then increments as needed by wsextent at a time to a maximum of wsquota.

Or am I remmebering wrong?
<<<

You start at wsdefault, growing up to wsquota. Then, if you need more AND VMS has enough memory, you can grow further up to wsextent.

The increment you're remembering is probably WSINC.

cu,
Martin
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Martin has all said.

Be careful not to have Wsquota > pgflquota, which can lead to strange errors, and is a bad idea.
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor
Solution

W.Clark,

my guess would too be that PQL_MWSEXTENT isn't used in this constellation. Your working set can grow up to PQL_MWSQUOTA and that's it (provided the UAF WS* quotas are lower than the PQL_MWS* values).

cu,
Martin
GuentherF
Trusted Contributor

PQL_M* values are just there to maintain the low limit of a process quota or limit when a process is created.

As with all these limits...it's a limit. If your WSDEAULT is let's 2000 that doesn't mean your working set starts with 2000. It starts with far less for example when you switch from DCL code to running your user image. Depending on the programs page fault dynamics it may eventually grow the working set to WSQUOTA...only if it generates high pagefault rates per second. If certain conditions are met and still paging it may grow the working set to WSEXTENT.

If you think you have enough physical memory and an application account needs it set its WSDEFAULT/WSQUOTA/WSEXTENT to WSMAX.

/Guenther