Operating System - OpenVMS
1753841 Members
8839 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Want to display annoucement before user login.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amit Phadnis
Advisor

Want to display annoucement before user login.

Hi,

I want to display notice or announcement before the user does his login.

Generally when we get connected to the server, we get following message:

Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V8.2

followed by the username.

My requirement is After the above mentioned welcome message, I want to my notice or announcement to be displayed.

So pls let me know where should I edit it and how. Pls give me the commands and steps for the same.

Waiting for your best solutions,

Amit Phadnis
11 REPLIES 11
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Amit,

does this thread help ?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1059773

OpenVMS uses the SYS$ANNOUNCE logical name to display a tesxt before the user gets his login prompt.

Volker.
Amit Phadnis
Advisor

Hi,

I went through the solution mention in the below URL, but I am finding difficulty in changing or modifying the SYS$ANNOUNCE, logical name.

when I use the,

$ sh logical sys$announce

"SYS$ANNOUNCE" = " Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) Alpha Operating System, Version V8
.2 " (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

It displays the respective logical defined.Then I tried to modify it using

$ define /log "SYS$ANNOUNCE" = " xyz"

It allowed me that too. But when I am doing testing by recoonection it to the server, there the changes are not taking place.

So what should I do further to get the changes made, implemented at the start.

Amit Phadnis.

Amit Phadnis
Advisor

Hi,

Bit mistakes in my above reply.

Halle has send me URL, which I went through and tried out the solution of modifying the SYS$ANNOUNCE, a logical name.

Rest all other things I have mentioned in the above mail.

Only I now need to reflect these changes made, at the start before login.

Amit Phadnis.
Jim_McKinney
Honored Contributor

Notice that SYS$ANNOUNCE is defined in the SYSTEM logical name table. To change the value you'll need to specify that table on the command line when you define it. So lose the equal signs and

$ define/system/log SYS$ANNOUNCE "xyz"

or

$ define/table=lnm$system_table/log SYS$ANNOUNCE "xyz"

By default, logical name definitions are made to your process table for your private use. You might have a look at to understand how logical names might be presented to wider audiences.

$ help define
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Amit,

As has been noted, SYS$ANNOUNCE needs to be in a name table that is in the path used by a new user logging in. By default, that path is the (empty) process private logical name table, the job logical name table, the group logical name table (LNM$GROUP; which is an alias that points to the logical name table that is unique for each UIC group), and the system logical name table (LNM$SYSTEM).

As was noted in an earlier posting, it is common to place a system-wide announce reference in LNM$SYSTEM. This is done using the ASSIGN/SYSTEM command. While I have not had the need to do so (and I do not have the time at this instant to verify it), it should be possible to place an overriding value in each of the group logical name tables (LNM$GROUP) to create group specific login announcements.

This is an application of the concepts in my Technical Journal article "Inheritance Based Environments for OpenVMS Systems and OpenVMS Clusters", which I contributed to the OpenVMS Technical Journal, Volume 3 (see http://www.rlgsc.com/publications/vmstechjournal/inheritance.html ).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Robert Gezelter>>>>
As has been noted, SYS$ANNOUNCE needs to be in a name table that is in the path used by a new user logging in. By default, that path is the (empty) process private logical name table, the job logical name table, the group logical name table (LNM$GROUP; which is an alias that points to the logical name table that is unique for each UIC group), and the system logical name table (LNM$SYSTEM).

As was noted in an earlier posting, it is common to place a system-wide announce reference in LNM$SYSTEM. This is done using the ASSIGN/SYSTEM command. While I have not had the need to do so (and I do not have the time at this instant to verify it), it should be possible to place an overriding value in each of the group logical name tables (LNM$GROUP) to create group specific login announcements
<<<<

It is possible to have group specific SYS$WELCOME, but not SYS$ANNOUNCE.

The only group logical table that works is LNM$GROUP_000001, because at this point the process is still running LOGINOUT prior to the user entering data, and at that time it is running with UIC [1,4]. VMS does not yet have the psychic user parser built in, so it can't anticipate what the user will enter, therefore doesn't know what the users eventual group logical name table will be.

The key point Bob is making is that if you don't specify a logical name table to be used, the one that will be used is process logical name table. And that is not a shared logical name table, so other processes will not see logical names you put there.

---- demo of use of group table 1 for sys$announce (the normal place would be lnm$system)

$ define /table=lnm$group_000001 sys$announce "This is in the group 1 logical name table"
$ set host 0

This is in the group 1 logical name table

Username: Exit
Error reading command input
End of file detected
%REM-S-END, control returned to node DELTA::
$ sho log/table=* sys$announce
"SYS$ANNOUNCE" = "This is in the group 1 logical name table" (LNM$GROUP_000001)
"SYS$ANNOUNCE" = "@mgr:sys$announce.DELTA" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
it depends
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Jon,

I stand corrected (I was writing that post just after getting up, apparently I was still not completely awake).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Amit,

Did you ever read the responses you got to your previous question?

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1112148

There were quite a few responses, but you never acknowleged any of them, or assigned any points.

Jon
it depends
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

define/system sys$announce "@sys$manager:announce.txt"

Setup sys$manager:announce.txt as a very nice text message and setup the protection to be world read.
set file/prot=(w:r) sys$manager:announce.txt

We set ours for telnet and also for FTP.
If you are concerned with ftp you can also setup the ftp welcome announcements.
HP TCPIP
define/system TCPIP$FTP_SERVER_ANNOUNCE "@sys$manager:ftp_announce.txt"
Multinet
defin/system MULTINET_FTP_ANNOUNCE ""@sys$manager:ftp_announce.txt"

Make sure your announce files are world read.