Operating System - OpenVMS
1751727 Members
6120 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Warning: "Master ECO lists" not always mention all patches.

JanvdBoogaard
Advisor

Warning: "Master ECO lists" not always mention all patches.

The list "ECO KITS NOT INCLUDED IN UPDATE KIT"  in the "Master ECO lists"  in OpenVMS patch management do not always mention al the latest patches.  One has to manually browse through the patch listings in order to determine which patches to install to get VMS completely up to date.

6 REPLIES 6
Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

Is anyone else having problems simply printing an ECO web page from the new forum?  No matter what I try or which browser I use, I can not get more than 3 pages to print from the "readme" presented on the web site after selecting a patch.

Not to mention that the patches no longer sort in "time" order?  Or that new patches that replaced old ones are still present, too.  For instance, in I64 v8.3-1H1 there are lots of "UPDATE" patches listed with v4 being the one at the top of the list, regardless of the fact that v10 is the current release, if I am not mistaken!

This is really hosed!  Last week the site was non-responsive for a couple days!

yeowvan
Occasional Advisor

Do you have specific Master ECO lists which have not been updated? 

I have requested that the labs look at the current posted versions and make sure that they have been posted correctly.

Evan

yeowvan
Occasional Advisor

I have no problems printing documents from the patch management service of the new HPSC site (is that what you mean?).

If there is a specific document you cannot print, let me know and I will try that particular one.

The sorting is a defect -- it seems to be bubbling the critical patches to the top of the sections -- which is a change.  There is a defect recorded for this and hopefully it will get targeted to the the next release.

- Evan

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Evan,

checking the MASTER ECO lists for up-to-date contents is a very tedious effort. For each version and architecture of OpenVMS, you have to find out the DATE of the most recent OpenVMS patch released. Then you have to check the contents of the current MASTER ECO list for that version/architecture to make sure, that that new patch is mentioned/included in that MASTER ECO list and the 'Release Date:'  in the header of the MASTER ECO list reflects the date of the most recent patch.

I will give you one example:

File Name: I64_V831H1I_MASTER_ECO_LIST
Release Date:  03-MAY-2011

I64_V831H1I_MASTER_ECO_LISTQuality2                    from the list of OpenVMS I64 V8.3-1H1 patches
posted: 2011/06/28

from that master ECO list:

ECO KITS NOT INCLUDED IN UPDATE KIT:   RELEASE DATE COMMENTS
------------------------------------                                  ------------                --------------------
VMS831H1I_USB-V0200                                     03-MAY-2011
VMS831H1I_LAN-V0400                                      03-MAY-2011
VMS831H1I_FIBRE_SCSI-V0900                      03-MAY-2011
... (older patches) ...

But the most recently released patches for OpenVMS I64 V8.3-1H1 seem to be (according to my bookkeeping): 

VMS831H1I_ICAP-V0500  28-JUN-2011

VMS831H1I_RMS-V0400  13-JUN-2011

VMS831H1I_SYS-V1400   17-MAY-2011

VMS831H1I_IPC-V0400    05-MAY-2011

So it seems like the I64_V831H1I_MASTER_ECO_LIST file has been UPDATED in the patch database on 28-JUN-2011, but it's CONTENTS has NOT been updated !

Checking all other MASTER_ECO lists is left as an excercise for whomever is responsible for providing that information.

Volker.

Bob Olewine
Frequent Advisor

I posted a similar query on 6-29-11 @ 2:11 PM  but under the System Management

header.   I also wrote to  the address given but the answer I got seemed to imply

that no-one really cared a lot or they did not understand what I ws trying to tell them. 

Since then I have kept my own list from the previous

ECO lists that were updated and I just update those.   At least I can check the

post-date on the ECO list and see what is new from there and get it if I need it.

I was really convenient though when they did update the contents of the

ECO list as well as the post date.

Rick Dyson
Valued Contributor

using IE or Firefox, when I print a "page" where I am looking at the 'readme" for the patch and it is longer than a few screen scrolls, nothing ever prints on paper past page 2.  The master list is an example for I64 v8.3-1H1 is over 2 pages long.  The output on my printer goes down to mid-pixels of the line after ..._SYS_MUP-V1300....  For documents like that for UPDATE_V1000 that are 20-30 pages long I only get 1 page of content plus 2 pages of blank content with header only.

I have no problems printing from any other web site nor had any issues from ITRC previously.