108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Web Services on OpenVMS

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Travell
Valued Contributor

In truth what you need to do is better define exactly what you want to achieve. Creating such a definition may make the solution exceedingly obvious.
If it is a web server rather than a service that you wish to implement, I can only recommend WASD. The only downside is that WASD is VMS specific, and scripts and knowledge are not as readily portable to or from lesser OS's.
It offers far better performance than any other server on VMS, with a much lower overhead. My server is not a good example for performance due to a trivial workload, so go look at the information about Malaga university.
JT:
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

I can only second John Travell's recommendation for WASD. Scripots designed for Apache work well under WASD and vice versa - you may have to do REALLY minor adjustmants - most will do without change. It IS faster (own exprience), far more tunable than Apache and therefore harder to master - but it offers some greate extra's that makes your life a whole lot easier. Those that know WASD know WATCH and RunTime encvironments ;).

Apache is UNIX based - which is both an advantage and disadvantage, depending what your is your major concern.

What I consider the biggest drawback of Apache and it's modules, it taht is is way behind the originals - one more than the other - and there is no timescale for updates available.

Besides the webserver, you'll need to consider what you want to use. If you want to use AXIS (take the lates version!), or WSIT (a great product but you'll need an Itanium for one part (to ease your life), you'll need Java, and I would highly recommended to stay away form that if your system contains less than 1Gb of memory AT LEAST.
If you can do your own development and are concerend about efficiency, think of other possibilities. You do not have to use SOAP or other XML based interfacing if your application is not used to expose your data to unknown others. You can think of PHP and PERL - but there agian: the engines used for that, as published by HP, are way behind the official releases.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager

Thanks for everybody

I'll compile and study all recommendations and choose a way.

Once more I apreciate your comments.

Archimar
Alex Chupahin
Super Advisor

Lighttpd port is available for OpenVMS now.
Alpha,I64 and VAX are supported.
It has *beta* status today, for static content only. But porting is in active development and fastcgi will be coming soon.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

@Alex:

any download address?

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

The LightTPD port site? Here:

http://vms-porting.dyndns.org/lighttpd/

Also look to get yourself an RSS reader and register the feed off of OpenVMS.org and off of various other OpenVMS web sites (with RSS feeds). RSS is one of the better ways to keep current on the discussions and announcements around OpenVMS. (Surprisingly, HP seemingly hasn't implemented an RSS feed for their OpenVMS updates, but you can usually pick up on those indirectly from the responses and postings at other sites; at the sites that do serve RSS,)
twhjr
Advisor

Greetings,

I have used both WSIT and gSoap. If you want to use secure services use gSoap in fact, just use gSoap. My expirence with WSIT and TOMCAT where somewhat less than stellar. gSoap is easy to use and supports most of the WS-Security you could ever want.

IMHO

Have Fun,
twhjr
As one skilled in the art it should be obvious...