6017 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What does this mean?

johnslayton1
Advisor

What does this mean?

(PSMGMENU_V3)-I-Active, Executing group captive login

What does the (PSMGMENU_V3)-I-Active stand for?

Can someone shed some light on this please:

Thx.
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

This seems to be a self-written or 3rd party application, perhaps you should ask your system manager?

regards kalle
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

John,

It is not a standard message (at least one that is produced as part of the normal base OpenVMS distribution).

It appears to be written using the OpenVMS standards for messages (at least insofar as the format).

Group login files are straightforward to implement, while not explicitly explained in the documentation set (I have implemented these for many clients over the years, presented on it in passing several times, and it is at least partially referenced in my paper "Inheritance-based Environments for OpenVMS Systems and OpenVMS Clusters" in the February 2004 edition. A reprint of that paper is available at http://www.rlgsc.com/publications/vmstechjournal/inheritance.html

Investigation where this message is being produced would require examining the account that had the problem, and the various files in both the user's account, the system accounts, and various other information.

If you are the system manager, or a member of that group, you may be in a position (e.g., have sufficient access) to investigate this issue. If you are a user, it is probably best if you contact your system management group for assistance.

If internal resources are in a position to track this problem, external expertise can be retained (disclaimer: as do several other active participants in this forum, we do provide services of this type, both onsite and remotely). I would not expect this topic would be entertained by HP support (at least at this point), as it appears to involve non-HP sortware.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
johnslayton1
Advisor

The program or subsystem were running under OpenVMS is POWERHOUSE from COGNOS.

Maybe its a message from this application.
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Perhaps you could get ngoht20 to tell you. He was asking similar questions but quit posting a short time before you joined.
it depends
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Skim the following nghot20 response:
https://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1096269

The recommendation I made over there also applies here: contact your manager and your IT organization. Specifically this: "Have you discussed your interests here with your manager? I'd not want to see someone showing such initiative and interest end up getting fired."

Should you be part of the local IT organization and have been charged with this particular site-specific Cognos application, get the Cognos documentation and get the application-specific local source code (and preferably a separate application-testing environment away from the production environment), or -- if you're in a hurry -- consider formal and/or outside help.

Folks here in ITRC can't help with a typical Cognos application. Cognos applications are almost by definition local and often highly site-specific. We don't know much of anything about the application. Which means somebody -- you or someone else -- will have to look at the source code.

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> What does the (PSMGMENU_V3)-I-Active stand for?

May we assume the message appears on an end user screen soon after a connection to the server is established but before a real (application) menu is presented to that end user?

It probably is simply an 'Informational' ( -I- ) message from a DCL script with file name PSMGMENU_V3 to indicate that it is entering a certain phase where a shared login command file is executed at a point where the end user does not have control ( captive ).

So... supposedly all is well.
Why do you ask? Is all not well?
Then describe the actual problem!

Did the message just start appearing or was it always there? Did some next phase slow down leaving this message on the screen longer than before?

Hope this helps some,
Hein van den Heuvel (at gmail dot com)
HvdH Performance Consulting
Hoff
Honored Contributor

>>>Did the message just start appearing or was it always there? Did some next phase slow down leaving this message on the screen longer than before?<<<

It was (also) listed in the cited ngoht20 thread.